New SharedArrayBuffer requirements

I got an email from seach console .... with this:

Recently, Google systems have detected that SharedArrayBuffers (SABs) are used but no COOP or COEP headers are offered.

For web compatibility reasons, Chrome plans to request COOP / COEP headers for the use of SABs starting with Chrome version 91 (05-25-2021). Implement the "cross-origin-isolated" behavior on your site.

Any idea what it is or how to fix it?

I got an email from seach console .... with this:

Recently, Google systems have detected that SharedArrayBuffers (SABs) are used but no COOP or COEP headers are offered.

For web compatibility reasons, Chrome plans to request COOP / COEP headers for the use of SABs starting with Chrome version 91 (05-25-2021). Implement the "cross-origin-isolated" behavior on your site.

Any idea what it is or how to fix it?
Me too. I received them for each of my sites using XenForo. Subscribing for updates...

XF doesn't use SharedArrayBuffers at all; they're a very specific feature that hasn't really been well supported. There is a theory that Google's email isn't actually about SABs at all, but potentially caused by ... Google Analytics itself:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

There's also some discussion here:

As it stands, I don't think there's really anything to change and at worst, if there is an obscure feature that is affected by this (unlikely to be in XF, BTW) then it should simply silently stop working. This particularly change appears to already be in Android Chrome.

XF doesn't use SharedArrayBuffers at all; they're a very specific feature that hasn't really been well supported. There is a theory that Google's email isn't actually about SABs at all, but potentially caused by ... Google Analytics itself:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

There's also some discussion here:

As it stands, I don't think there's really anything to change and at worst, if there is an obscure feature that is affected by this (unlikely to be in XF, BTW) then it should simply silently stop working. This particularly change appears to already be in Android Chrome.
Good to know! Thank you! This will be very helpful for anyone using XenForo and Google Analytics...

Top Bottom