New Search functionality

The biggest "function" is that the nasty queries don't need to hit your DB server.

As far as cost, I'd say the cost is so minimal, it's nothing more than an arbitrary barrier to prevent people who don't actually need it from trying to set it up (the ones that don't actually need it are going to be the ones that are going to need the most help setting up the backend requirements for it) and making it *not* a support nightmare for Kier and Mike.

As long as you have the JDK set up, installation is disgustingly easy.

Indeed, the XenForo Enhanced Search module is not for those that run their forums on VPS or low end dedicated servers. ElasticSearch runs under a JVM which itself loves lots of RAM to be effective and is not a simple install it and forget application.

The core search product is adequate for 90% of forum owners out there. I personally welcome the price as I guarantee that along with this module will come an additional support burden on XenForo Ltd.

At what point is this new search apparatus necessary? 10,000 members? 100,000?

So it is posts based? 1,000,000 posts really bogs things down that much? If someone has that many posts, I am surprised to hear people on this thread complaining about the cost. Seems like the advertising revenue alone would MORE than pay for it.

Heck, people complain about nice weather, about free stuff and about just about everything else!

Developers have a choice. They can make ALL the people who aren't using it pay a little bit (eventually raise the price of the core or similar) or they can ask those that need to it pay for it. I think in this case the later works better. If someone has a forum with a million plus posts - that gets a lot of searches - and does not make some decent bucks on it (like enough in a day to pay for this), they better get a business manager!

Heck, people complain about nice weather, about free stuff and about just about everything else!

Developers have a choice. They can make ALL the people who aren't using it pay a little bit (eventually raise the price of the core or similar) or they can ask those that need to it pay for it. I think in this case the later works better. If someone has a forum with a million plus posts - that gets a lot of searches - and does not make some decent bucks on it (like enough in a day to pay for this), they better get a business manager!

With all the add-on developers dropping like flies and disappearing, I'll gladly pay for an official version of extensible plugins or add-ons that are Xenforo supported and that I KNOW will still be around in the future. Right now, I am cautious to use any add-ons for fear of being left stranded.

Very likely that the people who have technical needs for this search addon aren't the people that complained about the cost. My forum has less than 100K post so I don't really need it. Even so, the cost is less than what I have paid for xenforo-related software so I don't even have to think twice when it's time to use this on my site.

With all the add-on developers dropping like flies and disappearing, I'll gladly pay for an official version of extensible plugins or add-ons that are Xenforo supported and that I KNOW will still be around in the future. Right now, I am cautious to use any add-ons for fear of being left stranded.

I wasn't aware that 5 developers at most made up the whole of the development community here? All you're doing is fear mongering with posts like this.

While you should be cautious with add-ons, it doesn't mean you cannot use them. If do some research on the developer and find they are reliable, and write good code and support their products, there is obviously no reason not to use their products. The developers you should avoid are the ones with obvious attitude problems, shoddy work ethics (Large amounts of planned add-ons with endless beta's for their released products), a history of add-on abandonment, poor support (Or no support), and a tendency for theatrics and drama. There are quite a few developers who do not fit any of those warning flags that do great work (As always Onimua is my favorite example, I don't know of any other developer here who has done as much with XenForo as he has, and has kept things pretty much compliant with standards).

I wasn't aware that 5 developers at most made up the whole of the development community here? All you're doing is fear mongering with posts like this.

While you should be cautious with add-ons, it doesn't mean you cannot use them. If do some research on the developer and find they are reliable, and write good code and support their products, there is obviously no reason not to use their products. The developers you should avoid are the ones with obvious attitude problems, shoddy work ethics (Large amounts of planned add-ons with endless beta's for their released products), a history of add-on abandonment, poor support (Or no support), and a tendency for theatrics and drama. There are quite a few developers who do not fit any of those warning flags that do great work (As always Onimua is my favorite example, I don't know of any other developer here who has done as much with XenForo as he has, and has kept things pretty much compliant with standards).

It's not fear mongering, it's the truth. Those are good points but how are we to know who is good and who isn't? There's no review or rating system. Mods aren't approved or vetted here, and there are no firm guidelines or standards. I assume these things will be addressed with the new resource manager coming soon.

It's not fear mongering, it's the truth. Those are good points but how are we to know who is good and who isn't? There's no review or rating system. Mods aren't approved or vetted here, and there are no firm guidelines or standards. I assume these things will be addressed with the new resource manager coming soon.
You said "all developers" when it has only been a handful, most of which have done no major modifications. Such statements would be considered fear mongering.

An easy way to find who is a good developer is to look at their release threads; if there are a lot of bug reports and not many responses from the dev, it is best to avoid them.

There are no guidelines or standards for modifications because it would likely drive new developers away. It takes time to learn a new system.

If you want to continue the discussion, make a new topic as we're going off-topic from this thread.

At what point is this new search apparatus necessary? 10,000 members? 100,000?
The new search becomes necessary when you have a large amount of content (not necessarily posts) that needs to be searched extremely quickly and without causing blocking issues or putting strain on MySQL.

You could have two forums, one with 500,000 posts the other with a 1,000,000. Depending on the size of each post the one with less content could use the XES solution more than the bigger forum. I don't think it is wise to just say x number of posts means you need this, it is more about the size of the index and the workload your forum experiences.

Top Bottom