1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XF 1.1 New registration default group

Discussion in 'XenForo Questions and Support' started by mcadx, Apr 12, 2013.

1. mcadx

mcadx Member

Is there a way to modify the default group for new registrations? The idea being that users would have to have x number of posts before being allowed to user certain features. We'd prefer to leave the default Registered group un-touched. Meaning, we'd prefer to promote users TO it rather than promoting users FROM it.

Thanks in advance.

2. tyteen4a03

tyteen4a03 Well-Known Member

You can use the user group promotion system to automate this task.

3. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

4. Kevin

Kevin Well-Known Member

I was thinking the same way originally but there really isn't any harm to creating a second group and having your default Registered group be promoted from it. You could actually change the "Title" of the of the default Registered group to something else so you could call your new group Registered instead but it really doesn't affect much since nobody sees that title except for your staff members (by default your user titles come from the "Trophy User Titles" entries).

5. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

Registered is actually the most accurate name for it though, as all members are registered.

I created additional groups such as verified, active, etc. and promote members into them based on number of posts, etc.

Lycaon likes this.
  6. Kevin

Kevin Well-Known Member

When I created an additional group to stop the human spammers I took the lazy method to naming.... "Registered+" :D

7. xf_phantom

xf_phantom Well-Known Member

You can also change the groupid in XenForo_Model_User via a plugin
    PHP:
    public static function initDependencies(XenForo_Dependencies_Abstract $dependencies, array $data){
    XenForo_Model_User::$defaultRegisteredGroupId 5;
    }

8. mcadx

mcadx Member

Thanks, this writeup outlines the step I was missing. I'm familiar with User Group Promotions in concept but wasn't sure how to set a new group to be default for new registrations in lieu of the "Registered" group that is default.

9. Jake Bunce

Jake Bunce XenForo Moderator Staff Member

I recommend against changing the default group for new registrations. Just invert it. Treat the current default group as the non-privileged group, and create a new group that is privileged.

tyteen4a03 likes this.