Implemented New Profile Posts -> Post Status

This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
Sorry for Translate is from Google-Bing.
Yes the 140 charter Limit is not good!! Picture Upload were very nice!
Completely different suggestions. If these suggestions exist already (and they probably do) then go and 'like' the first post in each suggestion. If they don't exist then create separate suggestions for these.

I was using xenporta's status block which had the same feature and people used to reply from there. So I had to remove it. I don't think it is a good idea.

I was using xenporta's status block which had the same feature and people used to reply from there. So I had to remove it. I don't think it is a good idea.
I have this feature on my site with Widget Framework. I don't have any problems with users using it incorrectly.

What I really like is that it updates straight away in the sidebar!! (y) - my current add-on updates on a timed cycle, taking some of the fun out of a quick, snappy status update.

The biggest concern I have there is people attempting to reply via that.

This is one of the reasons why it's at the top. Hopefully this will reduce instances of that.

I have the same concerns. My audiance consist of many who do not have a clue what a status update is. In fact, I myself always found the term 'status update' on Facebook quite puzzling. But that's another discussion :-)

@estranged gives a real life example of what can happen and even though other boards have different experiences, I would like to ask -to even more reduce the potential instances of people getting confused- if it is possible to have this as an option?

My concern is that putting this input field out there so visible, invites people to click in it and use it. Yes, obviously that's the whole point of it :-), but it is more visible and easier to post a status update than to post a new thread from 'forum home', and this will rise confusion to people who are new to my platform and many of them are not 'internet techies' so to speak.

Yes it would depend on the user base of a forum. In some forums it may not be a problem but in our forum, it was. Our users used that place like a chat box. So it would be better if it was optional.

My concern is that putting this input field out there so visible, invites people to click in it and use it. Yes, obviously that's the whole point of it :), but it is more visible and easier to post a status update than to post a new thread from 'forum home', and this will rise confusion to people who are new to my platform and many of them are not 'internet techies' so to speak.
Then how about actually teaching your users what profile posts/status updates are and how to use the Profile Posts block? A thread (or multiple threads) about the new features, explaining what they are and how to use them I'm sure would help. That's what I always do on my forums.

My 2 cents on the matter, :sleep: oops I meant :) (darn auto-correct)

I like how the Update your Status on the New Profile Page looks. I think it is a very useful addition.

As for the forum home's sidebar. The form looks out of place where it is, and as it is just right there, with no clicking involved to bring it up, I think it will be abused, ie: who can fill up the sidebar status list with all their own, or what ever. I think it would look a lot better, and will not be as easily abused, if it is a link in the footer of the New Profile Posts block, that opens the pop-up. The convenience is still there.

The flood checking applies though. I think anyone having to wait X minutes to fill up the profile post block with a 30 second pause between each message is likely to get bored quickly. Oh. And banned. Yeah. Banned for being a pain in the neck.

Last edited:
The flood checking applies though. I think anyone having to wait X minutes to fill up the profile post block with a 30 second pause between each message is likely to get bored quickly. Oh. And banned. Yeah. Banned for being a pain in the neck.

True enough, I forgot about the flood check, :eek:

Still, under the heading of New Profile Posts, you should directly see the new profile posts. With the form there you see Update your status... instead, and then the posts. I still think a link in a footer will look so much better. On a profile page, the update your status being first fits there as it is not under a large Profile Posts heading.

Top Bottom