New Modular Add-on System - Looking for Testers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jon W

I've been working on a brand new way of developing add-ons, codenamed "Cake".

Add-ons are broken down into individual modules, which makes them easier to manage in various ways.

Benefits of this approach include:
  • only enable the modules you need, meaning your site doesn't load redundant files, template modifications, etc.;
  • allow modules to be easily enabled/disabled to aid in bug fixing and removing features that may be incompatible with third-party add-ons you have installed;
  • easier for add-ons to be converted to support XenForo 2.0 as they can be converted one module at a time;
  • similar add-ons can be combined into a single add-on, meaning you have less add-ons to install and update;
  • code is much easier to read/understand as you can see which feature each block of code relates to.
This system requires a single "core" add-on to be installed, which allows for this additional functionality. In addition, this allows for files that are shared between add-ons to be included in this "core" add-on.

• no more errors whenever you upload a new add-on by FTP while shared files are being overwritten;
  • add-on zip files are smaller due to not having to include many shared files;
  • more code can be shared between add-ons, meaning much more efficient add-ons and code that is much easier to understand.
In order to do this and in order to make the most of this way of doing things, the "core" add-on will require PHP 5.4 and XenForo 1.3 or above.

• no more legacy code for older versions of PHP and older versions of XenForo, meaning add-on files are smaller, more efficient, quicker to code and easier to read/understand;
  • newer PHP functionality (including namespaces and traits) which are likely to be relied upon in XenForo 2.0 can be introduced, meaning it will be easier for add-ons to be converted to XenForo 2.0.
This system is now almost ready to be released, so I am looking for a small number of alpha testers. Once it has passed the alpha stage, a public beta will be released.

If you are interested in helping test, please post here or send me a PM.

"Cake" add-ons will be released under a new pricing structure, which will be announced later.

Included in the new pricing will be a guarantee that these add-ons will be upgraded to XenForo 2.0 when it is released, at no extra cost, to those who purchase the add-on.

Queue cake-related puns...

and the topping's modules will be "sprinkles"?? :)

Haha, this is far better than creating 50+ forums with two starter threads in each..... and jon, I need a mod for that :P

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom