• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

New member tags with custom fields and other information

Live Free

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe it's possible to create a new members tab displaying specific custom fields, either with XenForo or any add-ons.

If that is correct I'd like to try my hand st developing it myself.

I have a number of member tab features I'd like to implement, such as calling and filtering custom fields from the research manager or displaying a grid total threads/posts in specific forums.

To start, however, I would be satisfied if I could create a new tab that displays in a members profile that displays specific custom fields in a specific order, and only displays the tab if one of the select custom fields holds a value.

I'm new to Xenforo Development so I'm not sure how to proceed.

Where should I start?

Sim

You mean like this?

2017-03-10_16-19-33.png

... that's just a couple of template modifications to insert the tab and trigger the page to be loaded , plus an extension to the XenForo_ControllerPublic_Member class to provide a controller action to generate the content to display.

Start by looking at the member_view template and looking for the hooks: "member_view_tabs_heading" and "member_view_tabs_content" - that's what I used in the template modification (add your replacements below those lines).

Use the examples of the existing profile tabs to work out how they work (hint: the id of the li element is the key and triggers the tab loading).

I would give more concrete examples, but don't have time at the moment, sorry. Hopefully that gives you something to start on though.

Live Free

@Sim Thank you I appreciate you taking the time to respond.

I made it a little harder than it needed to be but I think I have the basic set-up now. I created two new templates, one for the tab name/heading and one for the tab contents, and used template include in member_view in the locations you mentioned.

Here's an except of new_template_member_view_tabs_content

Code:
<li id="writingstuff" class="profileContent">
    <xen:if hascontent="true">
        <div class="section">
            <h3 class="textHeading">What do you write?</h3>
                <div class="primaryContent">
                    <xen:contentcheck>
                    <div class="pairsColumns aboutPairs">                           

<dl><xen:if is="{$user.customFields.writing_genre}"><dt><b>{xen:helper userFieldTitle, writing_genre}: </b></dt> <dd>{xen:helper userFieldValue, $userFieldsInfo.writing_genre, $user, {$user.customFields.writing_genre}}</dd></xen:if>
                          <br></br>
                          <dl><xen:if is="{$user.customFields.writing_type}"><dt><b>{xen:helper userFieldTitle, writing_type}: </b></dt> <dd>{xen:helper userFieldValue, $userFieldsInfo.writing_type, $user, {$user.customFields.writing_type}}</dd></xen:if>
                          <br></br>
                          <dl><xen:if is="{$user.customFields.writing_experience}"><dt><b>{xen:helper userFieldTitle, writing_experience}: </b></dt> <dd>{xen:helper userFieldValue, $userFieldsInfo.writing_experience, $user, {$user.customFields.writing_experience}}</dd></xen:if>

<br></br>                          
                                          </div>   

</xen:contentcheck>
                </div>
        </div>
If I may, I have a few questions:

1. Does my usage above in the in the <dl><dt> (conditionals helper, custom field references) look correct? I was able to do it by finding a post on Xenforo.com from 2010 or 2011 so I'm concerned it may be outdated.
  2. What is <xen:contentcheck>?
  3. You mentioned I needed to use an extention to XenForo_ControllerPublic_Member class to provide a controller action to generate content to display. I don't believe I've done this, could you explain a little further on how it is and how it works?
I've managed to get the custom fields and custom tabs to display basically how I want them. I'd like to take it a step further, however, and display a tab that lists resource items by the user who's profile we're viewing from a specific resource category.

You ever mess around with code for seven hours when you have no idea what you're doing? That was me last night. I tried everything I could find. I tried copying and manipulating code from various resource list templates. I tried conditional statements. Though I don't understand how they work, I tried foreach looks for resource categories and resource items. I tried using CSS classes to reference a particular resource category. I even tried search strings, which is very hackish. No luck.

I scoured the Xenforo forum but there's only about three references to resource category conditionals/filters on the site, and all were unclear if doing what I wanted was achievable through the routes attempted.

As of now, I have the following included in the template, which has provided me with a duplicate list of resources by the author (the same as the existing resource tab):

Code:
    <li id="resources" class="profileContent" data-loadUrl="{xen:link resources/authors, $user, 'profile=1'}"
 style="display:list-item;"></li>
I'm not sure if this conditional reference is correct, but I think I essentially need to include the following within the data-loadUrl or within a foreach loop:

Code:
<xen:if is="{$category.resource_category_id} == 113"></xen:if>
Based on my examination of the code and other uses, I don't think I can filter the data-loadUrl and I most likely need to create a new foreach loop. To create a foreach loop to display resources from a specific category by the user who's profile you're on, I guessing I will need to create a new php file/Listener file? Am I on the right track?