XF 1.3 new feature "bounced emails"?

snoopy5

Hi

I just upgraded to version 1.3 and found in the ACP users/userstatus now the drop-down option for bounced emails.

Is there any new feature ergarding this that I missed? Or are there any plans? Why is this new option now available?

XF_ACP_userstatus_bounced.webp

It enables you to set the status to that for members whose emails are bouncing.
Prior to 1.3 you had to use the "Awaiting email confirmation (from edit)" status.

o.k., but the way we can use this now is no improvement over the old "by edit" classification.

Are there any plans to use this even further with an internal automatic email bounced manageement system in a future version?

o.k., but the way we can use this now is no improvement over the old "by edit" classification.

Are there any plans to use this even further with an internal automatic email bounced manageement system in a future version?
There is one add-on that is taking advantage of this new user state: [bd] Mails. It picks up bounced report from Mandrill.

The new status stops emails being sent and displays a message informing them that they need to change their email address.

Hey, THIS new feature is very good! You should market this better! I was so much missing this in Version 1.2x This alone will bring you new customers!

There is one add-on that is taking advantage of this new user state: [bd] Mails. It picks up bounced report from Mandrill.

Thanks for the hint I looked at this already in the past. But I need an addon that works with something free like phplist for example. We almost have no income with the forum.

I send biweekly/weekly way over 50.000 emails (for one newsletter only) out, so the small free slots of Mandrill et alii (below 12.000 per month) is not enough for me and as soon as you send more with them (i.e. all emails of the forum discussions), it will get really expensive per month.

phplist is free, no limitations at all, I can install it on my own server and it has all the professional features like bounced email, throttling etc.

Last edited:
How can I move all users, who have currently the user status of "awaiting email confirmation (from edit)" to this new "bounced" userstatus?

Any kind of sql command for phpmyadmin would be welcome.

Back up the database first.

Code:
UPDATE xf_user
SET user_state = 'email_bounce'
WHERE user_state = 'email_confirm_edit'

That worked well. Now I have the problem, that these users of the usergroup bounced are still checked in for getting admin emails and emails from conversations and threads. How can I disable this for users with that userstate? I went into xf_user table and tried:

Code:
UPDATE xf_user
SET user_option.receive_admin_email = 0,
        user_option.email_on_conversation = 0,
        thread_watch.email_subscribe = 0
WHERE user_state = 'email_bounce',

But get an error in phpmyadmin

#1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near '' at line 5

You are trying to update the xf_user table but those columns are in the xf_user_option table.
Try UPDATE xf_user_option SET receive_admin_email = 0.....etc.

Users that aren't valid won't receive conversation or thread emails anyway. The default email setup also only emails users that are valid, though you could change this criteria.

So what you're changing really shouldn't be necessary.

Users that aren't valid won't receive conversation or thread emails anyway. The default email setup also only emails users that are valid, though you could change this criteria.

So what you're changing really shouldn't be necessary.

o.k., thanks. Then I do not change this...

Hi,

I moved now many users to this bounced email userstatus. But when I login with a testaccount user logs in, he does not get the alert that hes need to change his email address.

Where and how shall this pop up? Can you show a screenshot?

o.k., now I see it.

Is it possible, to change the background colour of this box/ standard notice without changing the colour of something else?

I would love to use a really ugly screaming colour, which really hurts the eyes, so that it is not overseen....

If yes, how exactly?

phplist is free, no limitations at all, I can install it on my own server and it has all the professional features like bounced email, throttling etc.

Phplist is free but with service like Mandrill you offload your server and "delegate" reputation to a reputable service.
If something goes wrong and your server go in a black/spam list you risk that all your mails will not arrive at destination, right?

View attachment 70305

Just shown like a standard notice

This is an automatic notice or now we can use email token in notices?

Phplist is free but with service like Mandrill you offload your server and "delegate" reputation to a reputable service.
If something goes wrong and your server go in a black/spam list you risk that all your mails will not arrive at destination, right?

Of course you are responsibel for the email content you send out. Mandrill will kill your account very fast, if they get negative feedback with your mailings. So there is no big difference in this regard.

Mandrill and all the other often mentiones services make only sense, if you send less than 12.000 emails per month out. To calculate you own needed quantity, you need to take into consideration ALL emails of ALL your forums. That means both, all the emails with thread updtes AND all newsletters you send out.

My newsletter alone are per month 120.000 emails (each week around 30.000) for ONE forum only. And this number even does not include the normal thread update emals my users love to get to be informed when someone replies to a thread.

So just because of this volume, a payed service does not make sense. I am sure I am not the only one with this problem.

Top Bottom