New crowd plugin section?

Razasharp

Anyone else think this a good idea...

A new section, called something like Plugin help and mentoring is created here on XF.com, where people can get help building a plugin but they have to release the plugin here as a free product.

So it works kinda like this:

You post a thread saying what you would like to build, what you have done so far, how much PHP or XF you know etc. Anyone who thinks they can help (by answering questions - not building it for you), lets you know in the thread. You get the plugin built and release it here for everyone else :)

People learn to make plugins, others help people make plugins, and everyone else gets the plugin :D

Good idea? Or one of my crap ones? :p

This is a great idea.

Would also be cool if non-developers, like me, can vote on the idea and display our willingness to download it or even BUY it if it were to be complete. This way, the ideas that are in greatest demand will bubble-up to the top and hopefully garner more attention and assistance from other devs.

This is a great idea.

Would also be cool if non-developers, like me, can vote on the idea and display our willingness to download it or even BUY it if it were to be complete. This way, the ideas that are in greatest demand will bubble-up to the top and hopefully garner more attention and assistance from other devs.

Glad you like the idea MC :D

You could like the first post or say how much you like the idea in the thread too (would save having to make some custom system for the voting).

Liking the first post in this instance isn't going to have any effect.

I have moved the thread from suggestions to feedback as it is site related, not software.

There is nothing stopping anyone from doing this now - just post in the dev area stating as much.

Liking the first post in this instance isn't going to have any effect.

I have moved the thread from suggestions to feedback as it is site related, not software.

I meant for the proposed section (rather some some custom voting system having to be made for it as MC suggested)

There's already a section people can go to and post that will help them learn to develop plugins... The Development Discussions forum has helped quite a few people and has several active members helping others out.

There's already a section people can go to and post that will help them learn to develop plugins... The Development Discussions forum has helped quite a few people and has several active members helping others out.

Yep it's a great section too :)

However it's different to what I am proposing - mine has strings attached :p The plugin has to be released here for free, and you get commitment from a mentor who, after reading your spec, can decide whether they have the time/inclination to help you or not.

I think it would be fun, and could help people learn by doing, yet all the while support a good influx of plugins for everyone else.

So it's part learning, part sharing. Commitment from both parties should ensure the plugin is seen through to the end.

There is nothing stopping anyone from doing this now - just post in the dev area stating as much.

Just noticed you added the above.

I guess they could, but generally you find having a dedicated section can help encourage or push things along. Like a supported initiative.

Actually come to think of it @Brogan & @Jeremy - you could keep it all in the existing section, just have a sticky detailing how to start 'Mentor me:' type threads (with rules/conditions etc)

That way you could just trial it for a while, and see how it goes - if it causes problems, or doesn't get used it can be dropped.

:)

Top Bottom