XF 2.1 Is there any good tutorial for a vB plugin writer to learn the add-on system?

mark22

I'm pretty good with the whole vB Product/Plugin system. I feel I can make the forum do anything I want, have all the hooks, vars and datamanagers to memory by now, etc..

Now starting the long hard road to learning a new system, in this case XF

I've been reading through the docs for the Add-on system and it seems like its 180deg different, and TBH i'm having trouble getting a basic grasp of it all. Has anyone come across a good very basic tutorial on how to make and program and add-on, beyond whats in the official docs? No offense to the docs, but for whatever reason i'm having a very hard time understanding how it works and how I even begin

To start with one thing I dont understand is packaging a release. Usually in vB or in general, I write some PHP code for a plugin, and there are a million mistakes, so I code more and reload the forum and fix the problems one by one, sort of all on the fly and real-time. Is this not the case with XF? Do I have to do some re-compile everytime I make any kind of change to the PHP?

Another concept i'm having a hard time understand is that the Add-ons seem to rely on regexing a place in a template to do modify something or another. But many of my plugins would run on the vB global hook and just modify certain variables. Do all add-ons in XF just run off "global"

Thanks from a super super newbie :)

Last edited:
Moving from vBulletin to XenForo 2 development ist like ... boosting yourself from stonge-age to 21st century.

XF 2 development is so much easier, faster and a lot less painful than vBulletin.

vBulletin 4 was basically a giant mess of procedural spaghetti-code with some OO sugar on top.

Top Bottom