New bed but I am so bummed...

calorie

Good, supportive new beds are expensive so we squeezed out all we could from our old bed. Lately we tried sleeping on the old bed this way and that way, bought a memory foam topper, tossed and turned, woke up sore and tired again and again, so it was finally time for a new bed.

We decided on a latex bed with pillow top and after the first two nights on it, we slept well and had no aches the next morning. After night three however, I woke up with what could have been lower back pain. I say "could have been" because it wasn't really painful, more of a twinge, so I discarded it as random variation.

Well, night four has come and gone, and I awoke this morning with some serious lower back pain, the kind that burns. I could not lay there any longer, no position felt comfortable, so I had to get up even though I was still tired. I am so bummed.

While I like the 'coil-less-ness' of the new bed and the dust mite resistance of latex, I am questioning whether the pillow top was the way to go. At this point however, I cannot be 100% sure of the source of the problem, as we've only had the new bed for a few days.

So far it has been good, good, okay, bad. Time will tell though, so it is a good thing we have thirty days to evaluate the new bed.

Care to share your bed stories?

Carrie, i need to change my bed too ... right now i'll evaluate a latex bed, i know that with a latex bad the better choice that you can do is a low pillow ... but i'm not sure about the latex bed ... maybe is still better the old mattress with springs ...

I'm saving for a new bed for myself and a new bed for my daughter. For myself I was also looking at pillow top, but, for now it's just time to save up as much as possible to get the best bed I can afford. I'm hoping to get a 1400+pocket sprung divan bed. Old fashioned but I like.

We chose the low profile latex pillows with the new bed. I'm a side sleeper so I got a low profile firm pillow. So far so good with the pillow. My only complaint would be that the firmness of the pillow is just a bit too firm. The pillow is not too firm in the sense that it makes my neck sore or overextended. If anything I would want it to be a tad more giving, if that makes sense, but medium would probably be too soft for side sleeping, so for now I'm going to stick with this firm pillow and see how it goes.

It has been a quest though to find a pillow that fits. So far we have amassed ten pillows in the last year or so, just looking for that one that works best. Some people can sleep anywhere, on anything, at anytime, but unfortunately for me, I'm not one of those people.

Once you have your "form impression" made into the pillow top it will get better but my wife and I experienced the same thing with a $1500 set. Just expect to go through it all again if you flip the mattress around seasonally.

We had a similar experience... And you know what? Turns out that the problem was what we were EATING! Changed our diet to eliminate High Fructose Corn Syrup, greatly reduce sugar and white flour. Turns out I have a bit of a wheat sensitivity and my wife has a similar sensitivity (small amounts are ok) to dairy.

A couple of weeks later all the morning back and foot pain vanished and hasn't been back since. Weird eh?

I also found my ability to maintain an even keel emotionally when dealing with our toddlers improved drastically as did focus and concentration.

I know it sounds really bizzare, but it's incredible how many "syndromes" that people have that are been treated with a plethora of medications are really dietary in nature.
YMMV widely of course, but it's something to consider.

:: tosses two shiny coins in hat ::

If I get another bed it will either be a very heavy duty coil mattress or a memory foam matress. People I know SWEAR on their memory foam mattresses (of all sizes). My current mattress has already developed grooves after a year or so of use. I think the lady who sold it to me just did not want me to maul her face off.

Just thought I'd update this, as four more nights have passed...

So I am happy to report that the last four nights have resulted in good, good, good, good. Not sure what the problem was last Thursday but 6 goods, 1 okay, and 1 bad is a lot better than it had been on the old bed.

We went for a pocket sprung mattress (smaller spings for better curve to your body) and an in built memory foam top.

This is on top of a ottoman bed with wooden slats to give another level of spring.

Most comfortable bed ever.

I have a kingsize solid wooden pine bed - My matress is a kingsize matress (duh!) and I have a part-sprung part-memory foam matress.

It is the most comfortable matress I have ever slept on - I find it so hard to get out of bed because it is just that comfortable you can go to sleep with a click of your fingers and never ever get out again! lol

The best thing I bought was a latex topper in 14 density as opposed to the usual 22-24. It's springy but soft, you don't get trapped in it like memory foam, and it utterly transformed an ancient mattress - that I was going to replace after finding the right topper, but I think I could probably throw this topper onto a cement block and it would still be comfortable. And it was about a thousand dollars cheaper than a pillowtop mattress.

I know what you're going through...
after purchasing our new KING bed (with pillow-top) my back started aching (more).

After a few days use it didn't feel so bad. I guess my body got use the bed ?? not sure

Get yourself good pillows that will support your head/neck properly. Also, you may want to try a pillow between your knees (recommended by doctors).

Top Bottom