new - a few questions about Xenforo and XenPorta

Live Free

I've had xenforo for around a year, but I'm just now getting into developing it for one of my sites. I have a few questions. Not urgent, but if you know the answer and don't mind pointing me in the right direction, I'd greatly appreciate it.

- how do I change the forum url? Right now I have XenPorta and my forum is at /forums, I'd like to change it to /community

- how do I edit the navbar tabs? I'd like to add additional pages, and possibly a drop-down tab listing subforums.

- I'd like my homepage (with XenPorta) to have a blog-like update about important topics related to the forum. I'll update it every day or two. Is the best way to do this to make an announcement forum and have the addon display the threads as news in the portal?I would like to have different "categories" for these "blog" posts (I realize it's not a blog) - I'd like these categories to be displayed on the subnav, and allow users to narrow down the selection by clicking the subnav link for these subtopics. Whats the best way to do this? Is this better asked in the XenPorta thread?

- Is there a classifieds addon? How might one best set up a classifieds addon? Is there an event addon?

Thanks guys, sorry for the obvi questions.

Take care,
Daniel

- how do I change the forum url? Right now I have XenPorta and my forum is at /forums, I'd like to change it to /community

Rename the directory on the server. Then update this setting:

Admin CP -> Home -> Options -> Basic Board Information -> Board URL

Or if you are talking about the route then you can use this addon:

http://xenforo.com/community/resources/route-changer.447/

- how do I edit the navbar tabs? I'd like to add additional pages, and possibly a drop-down tab listing subforums.

Use this addon:

http://xenforo.com/community/resources/nodes-as-tabs.9/

- I'd like my homepage (with XenPorta) to have a blog-like update about important topics related to the forum. I'll update it every day or two. Is the best way to do this to make an announcement forum and have the addon display the threads as news in the portal?I would like to have different "categories" for these "blog" posts (I realize it's not a blog) - I'd like these categories to be displayed on the subnav, and allow users to narrow down the selection by clicking the subnav link for these subtopics. Whats the best way to do this? Is this better asked in the XenPorta thread?

The latest version of XenPorta can do that. I haven't done this myself, but Russ has a setup like this on his XenPorta site. I'm not sure if his forum link is public though. Send him a PM if you want to check out his site.

- Is there a classifieds addon? How might one best set up a classifieds addon? Is there an event addon?

Events - http://xenforo.com/community/resources/8wayrun-com-xenatendo-events.99/

I'm not sure about a classifieds addon. Of course a forum can be used to advertise items for sale. Do you need any special features beyond just posting items?

Thanks Jake, this has helped a lot. Two quick questions:

Rename the directory on the server. Then update this setting:

Admin CP -> Home -> Options -> Basic Board Information -> Board URL

Or if you are talking about the route then you can use this addon:

http://xenforo.com/community/resources/route-changer.447/

I've used this and my forum home is now customized to community. However, the individual forums still have the url forums. I'd like these to be customized to community as well. Customized forum > community doesn't seem to work.

I'm not sure about a classifieds addon. Of course a forum can be used to advertise items for sale. Do you need any special features beyond just posting items?

Well, I'd like the classifieds/bst section to be highly customized in style, but I suspect that's not too difficult and I can do without an addon. But I'd like it to look closer to a craigslist classifieds section than look like a forum marketplace. What I'd really like is to have multiple classified categories (thread prefixes perhaps?), and have particular categories charge a listing fee, rather than be free, and allow the people posting in that section to walk through a payment process (pay through paypal, then redirect to where they can post their ad once they've paid).

On your forum "community" is a route for the index page. The index has a different route than individual forums. They can't be the same route.

Well, I'd like the classifieds/bst section to be highly customized in style, but I suspect that's not too difficult and I can do without an addon. But I'd like it to look closer to a craigslist classifieds section than look like a forum marketplace. What I'd really like is to have multiple classified categories (thread prefixes perhaps?), and have particular categories charge a listing fee, rather than be free, and allow the people posting in that section to walk through a payment process (pay through paypal, then redirect to where they can post their ad once they've paid).

You can approximate a system like that using forums, groups, and user upgrades (pay to get into privileged groups). If a forum doesn't meet your needs then you would have to create a separate application as an addon (requires custom programming).

Top Bottom