Nerdface

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oblivion Knight

Nerdface
I would love to change the world but they won't give me the source code.

---
Introduction

Nerdface is a friendly place where (almost) anything goes, and self-proclaimed nerds are especially welcome!

What is Nerdface? I'm so glad you asked! Nerdface is a nickname that I was given approximately 7 years ago by my wife and a mutual friend, owing to the fact that I wear glasses and do nerdy things (such as forums!). The nickname has stuck ever since - I've never minded it, in fact I have embraced it. Why create a website based on a nickname? Why not!

I've tried creating and running gaming based websites previously, as I am primarily a gamer at heart. However, it is such a large and competitive sector to try and break into that unless you can offer something truly unique on your website, it is a struggle to keep it active and therefore maintain the motivation to keep it alive. As Nerdface doesn't have a particular subject matter, I can design and write things as I please (and will try to implement popular requests)!

The initial idea is to write content from experience; tips on PC applications, browser enhancements, useful OS tools/edits, gaming tips and tools, bargain deals/offers that I find.. General nerdy stuff really! I'll probably throw in tidbits of news that I feel may be of use and/or interest too as and when I have the opportunity.

---
Modifications
Last updated: 09/07/2019

Theme (2):
Uniform (customised)
Uniform Dark (customised)

Add-ons (107): Please note, links go to an external site where denoted by [E] because they are have no post on xenforo.com
Add What's New beside Alerts tab (customised)
Add-on File Remove [E]
Admin notes
Advanced Footer
Alert Improvements
Alphabetical pagination (ABP2) (customised)
AudioDb Music Thread Starter (customised)
Auto delete email confirm
Auto delete rejected
Auto Merge Double Posts (customised)
BBCode FontAwesome (customised)
Better auto complete tag list (customised)
Bump Thread
Calendar (customised)
Change Content Owner (customised)
Code
Collapsible Sections (customised)
Condense conversation actions [E]
Conversation Essentials
Conversation Improvements
Conversation Read Checkmark
Cookie Notice
Copy Nodes [E]
Copy User Group Permissions [E]
Covers
Custom 404 Page
Custom Action Bar (customised)
Database Backup
Delete users
Delete users banned
Development mode
Disable Markdown
Display Random Quotations, Tips, FAQs, Logos, Sub-headers & More
DragonByte Favicons
DragonByte Preview Last Post
DragonByte Spam Clean
DragonByte Tweet Poster
Duplicate account check
Exclude forum search
Featured Threads Slider (customised)
Find member (customised)
Forum moderators (customised)
Forum password (customised)
Gamer Profiles (customised)
Hide Poll Results
Hide Unselectable Styles
History
Hot Threads
Ignore Followers
Ignored Statistics
Known Bots (customised)
Last Member Online (customised)
Link Directory (LD2) (customised)
Login or Register on thread view
Manage Own Attachments
Member staff in conversations (customised)
Message User Info - XFMG
MiniMe - Posts in thread (customised)
Most Ever Online
Most Followers[E]
Move to Trash Can
Multi Prefix (customised)
Nested Quotes
No replies to closed threads
Old Thread Notice (customised)
Original Poster Highlight (customised)
Page Generation Stats and Time
Persistent Alerts
Personal Notepad
Post Count Rebuild
Prefix Essentials
Push Notifications Notice
Question and Answer Forums
Referral Contests (customised)
Remove debug line
Reply to User
Report Improvements
Separate Active/Inactive Add-ons
s9e/MediaSites
Shoutbox
Show deleted
Similar threads
Start Conversations With Yourself
Sticky user cells
Table BBCode Tweak
Tag Essentials
TGDb Game Thread Starter (customised)
The Following Alerts
Thread Bottom Action Button
Thread Filter
Thread Reply Ban Teeth
Thread Scroll Enhancement
Thread Sticky Timer (customised)
Time Spent Online
TMDb Movie Thread Starter (customised)
TMDb TV Thread Starter (customised)
User Blogs System
User Criteria Extended
User Essentials
User Improvements
User Thread Counter (STUTC2)
Warning Acknowledgement
Warning Improvements
What's New Digest
What's New Tweak (customised)
Who Replied
XenForo Media Gallery

Last edited:
Unfortunately the server is currently being subjected to an exhaustive DDoS attack.

http://status.tmd.cloud

--EDIT--
It was confirmed that no data was compromised during the attack. I have also since moved host.

Last edited:
So.. Personal circumstances meant that the project was left collecting dust for the best part of six months.

When I came back to re-visit things in October, I wasn't entirely satisfied and decided to re-design it. I trawled through literally all of the XF2 add-ons on offer, tweaking and customising them as I saw fit. It's been a rough ride, but I'm finally ready to give it another go (after a last minute server switch following a few issues)!

I'm staying on 2.0 for the time being, and will review a few more add-ons I'd like to implement when 2.1 is stable.

It would be awesome if any fellow XF fans could help start building the community up, but I appreciate everyone is busy with their own projects.

Last edited:
I'm largely happy with how things are going, but there's always room for improvements.. ;)

Many, many updates are planned to coincide with updating to 2.1 when it is stable including the introduction of Blogs. I'm going to be performing a test upgrade to Beta 5 (or newer if released) on my local environment in the coming days, but in the meantime I am still largely focused on trying to bring additional activity to the place. If anyone is interested in a post exchange then please send me a PM.

I've made a few edits of my previous posts within this thread to clarify a previous DDoS attack, and have cleaned up the original post.

Last edited:
Nerdface has had a massive upgrade, not just updating to XenForo 2.1.0 but re-visiting the add-ons installed, swapping and/or tweaking them, and adding a bunch of new functionality.. There's too much to list in a thread like this, so I'll provide a few highlights.

Final jobs to complete the upgrade include tweaking user profiles and the trophy system, as well as implementing alternative smilie sets (most of which I have already made a start on). Following that, content and pushing for more sign-ups..

Blogs
Perhaps one of the most requested XenForo 2.x features is now live at Nerdface, running the infamous UBS system by @Bob! I haven't had much time to tweak things just yet, but it already has all the functionality I desired from such an add-on, and more..

Library
The library has been made possible by a number of add-ons; The thread starter add-ons by @Snog, alphabetical pagination by @au lait, aggregating forums by @Xon, thread filters by @AddonsLab, and grid nodes by @BassMan. The styling of the grid nodes was "borrowed" from @Gemma (I hope you don't mind!).

194900 194901

Slider
Despite initially starting with @XDinc's slider and swapping to an alternative prior to launch, I have reverted back and fixed one or two bugs with it.. I much preferred the look and feel of their design.

The Nerdface Dark theme is out of beta!

nerdface-dark.webp

It's taken a bit more tweaking than anticipated, but the Nerdface v2 Dark theme is complete - and I'm very happy with it!

Lots of small changes have occurred since the XF 2.1 upgrade. If you haven't visited for a while please do, and sign up if you have a few moments to spare! We'd love to chat with you :).

The Nerdface Dark theme is out of beta!

View attachment 199109

It's taken a bit more tweaking than anticipated, but the Nerdface v2 Dark theme is complete - and I'm very happy with it!

Lots of small changes have occurred since the XF 2.1 upgrade. If you haven't visited for a while please do, and sign up if you have a few moments to spare! We'd love to chat with you :).
You've done a fantastic job. Well done, your site looks great!(y)

Nerdface is nearing 100 modifications running side-by-side making us (probably) one of the most modified XenForo installations.. Hopefully not that you'd realise it, although I don't know whether to be impressed or horrified. :p
It's probably over 100 actually.. I've made a load of custom changes that I haven't packaged up.

We recently passed 1,000 total posts, and are already starting to race toward 2,000.. Activity is starting to pick up nicely.

Finally, Nerdface has recently partnered with @Brad Padgett and MindPiff Community and we feel that both communities are benefitting from this nicely.

Nerdface is nearing 100 modifications running side-by-side making us (probably) one of the most modified XenForo installations.. Hopefully not that you'd realise it, although I don't know whether to be impressed or horrified. :p
It's probably over 100 actually.. I've made a load of custom changes that I haven't packaged up.

We recently passed 1,000 total posts, and are already starting to race toward 2,000.. Activity is starting to pick up nicely.

Finally, Nerdface has recently partnered with @Brad Padgett and MindPiff Community and we feel that both communities are benefitting from this nicely.
Congratulations nerd! 🤓

Thank you @Nerdface for mentioning me in your post. Yes I'm excited to be partnered with Nerd Face. It's a great little community I've come to recently like a lot. A lot of nice people on there and it's very fun for me in my opinion to participate and post when I have time. Site looks great too. Keep up the good work (y)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom