Negative responses on suggestion threads

Status
Not open for further replies.
You seem to think there are actual cases of this. If you feel that way, let us know (report them). We are on your side. We don't want suggestions to get buried because they are badly worded and we're also intelligent enough to not close down a valid suggestion in favor of one that is poorly worded to the point that it becomes obscure.
I did let staff know previously but at that time it was not considered worth the extra workload. Its great that this has changed. Thanks for letting me know that this is different than I thought. I will start using the report function for it.

I've only read the first page of this thread but I can very much relate to the OP's experience, because mine here were largely the same when it came to many suggestions for improvement that I posted. But to be honest, it's not the whole community that's problematic, just a very vocal and very present minority who have apparently made it their mission in life to closely guard the suggestions forum and shoot down any suggestions that they personally don't find suitable for their own use. Most of the time with the kind of inane arguments, incessant bickering and needless nitpicking that it just makes those of us who value our time not waste any more of it posting in the suggestions forum, since a few ever-present members have more or less taken it hostage for their own interests.

The unfortunate end result is that I've soon come to feel the same way about the XF suggestions forum as about the vB one back in the day: black hole. *shrugs*

We will certainly do our best to take everyone's feedback on board. It's not totally obvious but we do actually spend a lot of time (as a team) discussing various points of feedback which are raised by the community and we do make changes as a result. We currently have a number of discussions on-going, one of which has been spawned directly from the feedback raised in this thread.

So, thank you for the feedback given so far.

I think this thread has run its course. It's a shame that a discussion regarding maintaining reasonable discussion in the face of negativity itself has (a few times) descended into bickering itself which destroys the discussion. As a community, we likely need to figure out how to handle dissent better and this is something we (as moderators) will need to try to help.

There has been plenty of good feedback here and as Chris has said, we're discussing what path we want to take regarding this and various other topics. We will hopefully have some specifics to present in the near future (bearing in mind that we're still coming out of the holiday period).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom