Negative responses on suggestion threads

Status
Not open for further replies.

dehness

Not sure why so many people on this forum are so often against legitimate feature requests. It seems these threads are riddled with it.

Providing functionality in the core does not necessitate its use, but does provide the necessary foundation for further 3rd party development.

+1 in the overwhelming support category from me.

Not sure why so many people on this forum are so often against legitimate feature requests.
Members are perfectly entitled to be "overwhelmingly against" a suggestion in the same way others are perfectly entitled to be "overwhelmingly for" them.

Perhaps those members would prefer development time to be spent on other features they would personally find more useful for their own forums.

Members are perfectly entitled to be "overwhelmingly against" a suggestion in the same way others are perfectly entitled to be "overwhelmingly for" them.
These kind of posts only force the OP to spend half the time defending his/her suggestion. Sometimes constructively, but typically it just devolves to matter of preference arguments and gets us nowhere. Encouraging this kind of behavior only stifles the culture of suggestions/change.
Perhaps those members would prefer development time to be spent on other features they would personally find more useful for their own forums.
Well that's just selfish in my opinion. If you really want features for your own forum you should be able to make the case for development on its merits, not tearing down others. I don't use three quarters of the core features in Xenforo, but I'm not against having them.

So you would advocate that we only allow positive supporting comments on suggestion threads and delete all others?

I wasn't the one being negative.

I was explaining why all responses on a thread are valid.

That has been the same since day 1.

So you would advocate that we only allow positive supporting comments on suggestion threads and delete all others?
I am getting a strong sense of being attacked at times when I post suggestions. It becomes a fight instead of just a matter of seeing how popular a suggestion is. (or not) While this thread is not the best example of that, but yes, recently I asked you to delete one of the previous suggestions because passive aggressive comments and ridicule made it impossible to post a suggestion. Since, I have become a little afraid to post constructive suggestions. I am not alone in this.

It's usually the same few who immediately jump on suggestions negatively for whatever reason.

It is annoying.

It's not negativity, some of us just don't want to see the core get bloated like other solutions we moved away from. It's just like buying a car, you have basic and loaded.. xF core should remain the basic and the 1st party options like Resource Manager, Gallery are the loaded. I would love to see this developed 1st party as I can personally use it, but with that said, it should be a loaded option and not basic.

Current 3rd party ones are both too buggy or lack some required features still. So if your going to pay money for it, it should be bug free, not more bugs popping up with every bug fix patch, so that is why there needs to be a 1st party version, just not in the core itself.

Yes, I do. The first post like system exists for a reason, and I expect used quite extensively by the XF dev team to set roadmap and priorities.
Having people disparage, repeatably, suggestions from others brings nothing to the conversation other than confusion and "why did I bother?"

Yes, I do. The first post like system exists for a reason, and I expect used quite extensively by the XF dev team to set roadmap and priorities.
I'm sure that they will also look through responses to popular suggestions too. Sometimes the first post isn't completely clear and questions by other members can tease things out. Opinions of members on that suggestion may also be useful to help them decide on what to implement.

I don't see negative comments regarding this suggestion. I see people questioning whether it can be done already with user upgrades (me - I was wrong once the suggestion was more fully explained. I see people expressing their opinion that they don't believe it to be core material (ie should be an add-on in some form) - that's a valid suggestion too. I don't see anyone saying that the suggestion is stupid, it's not.

Whilst some suggestions are good ideas, others need discussion to develop them and some suggestions aren't great. Therefore opinions both for and against a suggestion should be permitted as long as they remain civil. Anything inappropriate can be dealt with by the moderators.

I have split these posts from the original suggestion thread to avoid that thread being derailed.

Feel free to post your comments and lobby for change to the system which has been in place since the start.

I just read through the thread in question and am a little curious but what comments exactly were negative?

And to those who think there were negative comments if you saw a suggestion you don't agree with should you just avoid the topic or post your thoughts on why you'd want the devs to focus on something else?

Side note I actually love the suggestion, so I liked it :)

Last edited:
If you want the devs to focus on something else, go find the suggestion you want and post your support there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom