[n] Best Answer / Q&A System

[n] Best Answer / Q&A System [Paid] 1.1.2

No permission to buy (£25.00)

Robust

Robust submitted a new resource:

Best Answer / Q&A System - A Best Answer/Q&A Management System. Be able to mark posts as a best answer, to describe it simply.

This add-on adds the functionality to make a Q&A/support/best answer system on your forum. This is best suited for forums that give support or is a question/answer forum.

Features:
  • Let the community vote for a post as best answer
  • Display a mini display at the top of a thread with a short summary of the best answer
  • Change the colour of the post which is a best answer
    • Support for styles by not extending the post width with colour
  • Best Answer badge...

Read more about this resource...

That's awesome but I think if someone using this add-on; https://xenforo.com/community/resources/mark-posts-as-best-answer.2107/ they probably will need an importer :)
If anyone is using that, I can create an importer. I'll need to see the database structure though. If there is anyone interested, feel free to send me a message with a list of the database changes it makes (columns added to existing tables and additional tables created). Unfortunately, I don't have a copy of that add-on, so this'd be the only way for me to create an importer.

Coming soon (all features are configurable):
  • Choose between thread starter choosing the best answer or the community (like it is now)
  • Tab on user profiles to show a list of their best answers
  • Widgets [Response]
  • 3rd party points system integration (low priority)
  • Send message to user when an answer is received to their question
  • Trophy point rewards [Response]

Last edited:
Then don't forget to add enable/disable option in user profile tabs :)
We try and do that for all features we try and add :). Everything is as customisable as possible and meant to be easy for the administrator. Personally, it's not something I'd look for, but it's a popular feature with such a type of add-ons.

What I'm also trying to do is avoid bloat in here, stuff which I don't really think is the direction I want to take with the add-on, but it may become an option if it's really demanded. An example is showing a list of voters, that's something I'm really against. I wanted to go with a stack overflow approach with this. I might add it in a future update to show how many votes each post has, but I don't have plans to add a list of voters.

Feature requests:
  1. Display on forum view which threads are answered and unanswered.
  2. importer for Question & Answer forums
  3. Widget / sidebar block to show the most popular questions of that node. (this really cuts down or repetitive questions)
  4. Vote weighting for usergroups. Allow us to give more weight to the votes or ranking members.
  5. BD widget to show the latest unanswered questions and trending questions.

Feature requests:
  1. Display on forum view which threads are answered and unanswered.
  2. importer for Question & Answer forums
  3. Widget / sidebar block to show the most popular questions of that node. (this really cuts down or repetitive questions)
  4. Vote weighting for usergroups. Allow us to give more weight to the votes or ranking members.
  5. BD widget to show the latest unanswered questions and trending questions.
Hi Alfa1. Thanks for these :)

1. We'll add a widget (with Widget Framework support, since there are some good caching methods available, as well as XenPorta 2 support) for showing threads that are still unanswered. This would be quite cool if it auto updated via JavaScript as well, but that probably isn't going to be something on my primary agenda. That's a very good suggestion though. I can make a direct hook into the sidebar for this as well and cache results.
  2. For any add-ons you'd want an importer for, I will require the database structure of that add-on. I don't have a copy of that add-on either.
  3. Agreed with the third one as well, like the first one, it'll have Widget Framework and XenPorta 2 support, as well as a direct hook into the sidebar.
  4. This should be fairly simple to implement. It'll be added in the next update (probably tomorrow).
  5. I guess I could make that widget as well, but it'll be less priority. Not sure how useful trending questions would be. Usually a question could be answered in a little while, it shouldn't be a lot of back and forth, but I can see some scenarios where this may be useful. I'll definitely add the most popular questions block.
Widgets will probably come pretty soon, since they're definitely a key part of this add-on, with configuration options.

Is there a trophy/user criteria for having your post marked as a 'best answer'? Or for a certain number of times?
How it works right now is that community members, with the permission to vote, vote for a post. Once it exceeds the threshold defined in the options it is set as the best answer, unless, of course, another post has more votes than it.

How it works right now is that community members, with the permission to vote, vote for a post. Once it exceeds the threshold defined in the options it is set as the best answer, unless, of course, another post has more votes than it.

aSnN6Lm.png

Oh... I meant trophies, like those. User criteria to be used to create a trophy if users have their posts rated as best answers, rated as best answers x amount of times, etc. I apologize if I didn't explain well enough!

Thanks for the swift reply and intention to implement several of my suggestions.

We'll add a widget (with Widget Framework support, since there are some good caching methods available, as well as XenPorta 2 support) for showing threads that are still unanswered. This would be quite cool if it auto updated via JavaScript as well, but that probably isn't going to be something on my primary agenda. That's a very good suggestion though. I can make a direct hook into the sidebar for this as well and cache results.
How about giving the thread a prefix? 'unanswered' or answered'
The idea is to make it visible on forum view.
For any add-ons you'd want an importer for, I will require the database structure of that add-on. I don't have a copy of that add-on either.
I have a license for it.

• I guess I could make that widget as well, but it'll be less priority. Not sure how useful trending questions would be. Usually a question could be answered in a little while, it shouldn't be a lot of back and forth, but I can see some scenarios where this may be useful. I'll definitely add the most popular questions block.
The difference between popular questions in a specific node and trending questions of all nodes is that:
- popular questions of 1 node will mostly show the same content and is only visible in the node itself.
- trending questions of all nodes will regularly show different content and can be used on a front page.
What Dani asks for is to reward members who answer a lot of questions. The reward is trophy points. This stimulates people to make use of the system.

How about giving the thread a prefix? 'unanswered' or answered'
The idea is to make it visible on forum view.
Could be done easily as well, I'll try and include that in an update tomorrow.

I have a license for it.
Not sure whether or not that allows you to give me a copy, but you can certainly provide the database structure, you may need to explain it if some parts aren't self explanatory. You could send the add-on as well if the developer has no problem with that.

- popular questions of 1 node will mostly show the same content and is only visible in the node itself.
On that note, what's the best approach you're thinking of to determine popular questions? View count of a certain thread?

trending questions of all nodes will regularly show different content and can be used on a front page.
Same as above, what's the best approach you're thinking of to determine popular questions?

aSnN6Lm.png

Oh... I meant trophies, like those. User criteria to be used to create a trophy if users have their posts rated as best answers, rated as best answers x amount of times, etc. I apologize if I didn't explain well enough!
What Dani asks for is to reward members who answer a lot of questions. The reward is trophy points. This stimulates people to make use of the system.
Oh, I see. That was actually on the agenda, as well as support for popular 3rd party credits plugins (namely Audentio Credits and ReckonsTeam Credits). Trophy point rewards will be in a much sooner update than the 3rd party credits system support. When I say trophy point rewards I mean the option for criteria which allows the admins to define trophies based on that criteria.

Last edited:
On that note, what's the best approach you're thinking of to determine popular questions? View count of a certain thread?
Indeed. Its a listing of the X number of threads with the most views in that node.
Same as above, what's the best approach you're thinking of to determine popular questions?
Its a listing of the X number of threads with the most views within Y days. I know this one is a little tricky because it only counts views in the last Y days.

awesome, thanks for this good add on.

Suggestion:
1. Please add a feature to vote a question. If another user want to ask the same question then they can vote the question already posted to bump it.
2. Ability to choose short a question list/threads based on point 1 above.
3. Please add an integration to ******* Add on, many xenforo users still used it :(. i can give you the copy for development purpose. I have asked permission from ******* to give it.

The other add on has no ability to moderate best answers.. the ability (permission) for moderators to delete best answers would give this version a leg up immediately.. ive been asking the author of that plugin for months to include moderation tools with no response from its author.. Not slamming anyone but that feature alone would convince me to make the switch and im sure others as well...

Please add a feature to vote a question. If another user want to ask the same question then they can vote the question already posted to bump it.
Apologies, but I'm not sure what you mean? Like I've said, this is based off a stackoverflow type of system. It uses a normal forum, so replies to a topic will bump it regardless. I don't think I'm understanding you correctly though.

Ability to choose short a question list/threads based on point 1 above.
Again, not sure what point 1 was. Please clarify.

lease add an integration to ******* Add on, many xenforo users still used it :(. i can give you the copy for development purpose. I have asked permission from ******* to give it.
Send me a message please with the add-on's links and files. I tend to stay away from ******* add-ons, and hate installing them on my development board as a matter of fact, but I can pick up the database structure from the files. I'm not exactly sure which of his add-ons you mean, he doesn't have a best answer add-on made, unless you mean his credits system. The fact is, also, that *******'s add-ons have been removed from XenForo, and for relatively good reason. I bought an add-on from him and the code was utterly disgraceful, to mean no offence. His add-ons will probably get used less and less as alternatives come out, so I'm not sure adding support for any of them is a good use of time (anything other than an importer). All depends on demand though.

The other add on has no ability to moderate best answers.. the ability (permission) for moderators to delete best answers would give this version a leg up immediately.. ive been asking the author of that plugin for months to include moderation tools with no response from its author.. Not slamming anyone but that feature alone would convince me to make the switch and im sure others as well...
Deleting a post normally will remove its best answer status. But I'm guessing you want a manual option to remove a post's best answer points? Or completely stop it from being voted for?

Top Bottom