XF 1.4 Mysteriously stopped sending mail

Hi Team,

Any help would be appreciated.

About two days ago my xenforo stopped sending emails, wether it was alerts / password confirmations. Anything.

I have just been using default settings and am in the process of setting up an external smtp to get me through while i troubleshoot.

From what i can tell, xenforo has no logs when it comes to mail or the errors it hits when it cant send an email.

Please point me in the direction on the first steps to troubleshoot / fix this. Thank you!

I lie. I found the logs.

Zend_Mail_Protocol_Exception: Connection timed out - library/Zend/Mail/Protocol/Abstract.php:277
Generated By: Unknown Account, Yesterday at 7:32 PM

#0 /home1/oddsbcom/public_html/forum/library/Zend/Mail/Protocol/Smtp.php(167): Zend_Mail_Protocol_Abstract->_connect('ssl://smtp.gmai...')
#1 /home1/oddsbcom/public_html/forum/library/Zend/Mail/Transport/Smtp.php(199): Zend_Mail_Protocol_Smtp->connect()
#2 /home1/oddsbcom/public_html/forum/library/Zend/Mail/Transport/Abstract.php(348): Zend_Mail_Transport_Smtp->_sendMail()
#3 /home1/oddsbcom/public_html/forum/library/Zend/Mail.php(1194): Zend_Mail_Transport_Abstract->send(Object(Zend_Mail))
#4 /home1/oddsbcom/public_html/forum/library/XenForo/Model/MailQueue.php(62): Zend_Mail->send(Object(Zend_Mail_Transport_Smtp))
#5 /home1/oddsbcom/public_html/forum/library/XenForo/Deferred/MailQueue.php(10): XenForo_Model_MailQueue->runMailQueue(7.99999785423)
#6 /home1/oddsbcom/public_html/forum/library/XenForo/Model/Deferred.php(256): XenForo_Deferred_MailQueue->execute(Array, Array, 7.99999785423, '')
#7 /home1/oddsbcom/public_html/forum/library/XenForo/Model/Deferred.php(390): XenForo_Model_Deferred->runDeferred(Array, 7.99999785423, '', false)
#8 /home1/oddsbcom/public_html/forum/library/XenForo/Model/Deferred.php(335): XenForo_Model_Deferred->_runInternal(Array, NULL, '', false)
#9 /home1/oddsbcom/public_html/forum/deferred.php(23): XenForo_Model_Deferred->run(false)
#10 {main}

Gobbledegook to me though. Any help would be appreciated.

If i try to use a external SMTP i get this

Error Info
Zend_Mail_Protocol_Exception: No connection has been established to smtp-relay.gmail.com - library/Zend/Mail/Protocol/Abstract.php:319
Generated By: Unknown Account, 42 minutes ago
Stack Trace
#0 /home1/oddsbcom/public_html/forum/library/Zend/Mail/Protocol/Smtp.php(338): Zend_Mail_Protocol_Abstract->_send('RSET')
#1 /home1/oddsbcom/public_html/forum/library/Zend/Mail/Transport/Smtp.php(203): Zend_Mail_Protocol_Smtp->rset()
#2 /home1/oddsbcom/public_html/forum/library/Zend/Mail/Transport/Abstract.php(348): Zend_Mail_Transport_Smtp->_sendMail()
#3 /home1/oddsbcom/public_html/forum/library/Zend/Mail.php(1194): Zend_Mail_Transport_Abstract->send(Object(Zend_Mail))
#4 /home1/oddsbcom/public_html/forum/library/XenForo/Model/MailQueue.php(62): Zend_Mail->send(Object(Zend_Mail_Transport_Smtp))
#5 /home1/oddsbcom/public_html/forum/library/XenForo/Deferred/MailQueue.php(10): XenForo_Model_MailQueue->runMailQueue(7.86293196678)
#6 /home1/oddsbcom/public_html/forum/library/XenForo/Model/Deferred.php(256): XenForo_Deferred_MailQueue->execute(Array, Array, 7.86293196678, '')
#7 /home1/oddsbcom/public_html/forum/library/XenForo/Model/Deferred.php(390): XenForo_Model_Deferred->runDeferred(Array, 7.86293196678, '', false)
#8 /home1/oddsbcom/public_html/forum/library/XenForo/Model/Deferred.php(335): XenForo_Model_Deferred->_runInternal(Array, NULL, '', false)
#9 /home1/oddsbcom/public_html/forum/deferred.php(23): XenForo_Model_Deferred->run(false)
#10 {main}

Or maybe google blocked you. They have never really been fond of automated systems and will sometimes throw a spanner in the works. It's a bad idea to use them for this sort of thing. Its also possibly your host blocking you. If you are using linux, why not use sendmail?

I was using sendmail then moved to smtp relay after sendmail stopped working. Neother worked.

Just in case anyone searches and finds this thread.

I host with bluehost and they blocked me accusing of spam ( i was only sending xenforo forum notifcations ) and bluehost also have policy of not allowing to external SMTP relay through anyone.

Short story - Host with some one else.

Top Bottom