My VPS Server Crashed

wickedstangs

I contacted my hosting company.. This is what they said.. What should I do?
Hi,

I am currently still unable to start mysql due to crashed tables. My suggestion at this point would be to restore the vps using a previous backup.

Please do what you have to get me back up...

Hello,

Please note that we create VPS backups every other night and keep them on a specialized backup server. VPS backups contain the whole VPS filesystem including all installed applications, site files, emails, mysql databases and anything and everything else you have stored on the VPS filesystem. However these backups cannot be used to restore a single account or any databases that include innodb formatted tables. It can be used to restore the entire VPS only. We found the backups on the following dates.

---
03/06/2014 00:52
03/07/2014 14:48
03/09/2014 14:36
03/11/2014 09:27
03/14/2014 02:21
03/15/2014 19:55
---

Please specify the date from which you need to restore the backup. We can also attempt to do a restoration of specific files and/or directories for a charge of $10. Please include all files/directories in a single request. You will be charged for subsequent partial restore requests even in the same ticket. If you agree with this charge, please get back to us with the following details and we will connect you with our Sales & Billing team to work out arrangement for the fee:

---
- list of files/directories to be restored
- date of the backup that should be used for restoration
---

Please advise how you would like to proceed.

We look forward to hearing from you,

Not sure what the above means? Can you guys give me a hand..

They are going to charge you to do a restore from a date you specify.

However, and this is fairly crucial as far as XenForo is concerned:
However these backups cannot be used to restore a single account or any databases that include innodb formatted tables.
XenForo uses InnoDB.

It sounds like they are saying they do not have backups of your db's, which is the part which they say crashed - or, they have them, but charge to restore them.......

Maybe you should get them on the phone. The charges seem reasonable if they can restore your mysql databases.

Often, these crashed db's can be fixed without having to use a backup.....mine usually self-repair to some extent.

It sounds like they are saying they do not have backups of your db's, which is the part which they say crashed - or, they have them, but charge to restore them.......

Maybe you should get them on the phone. The charges seem reasonable if they can restore your mysql databases.

Often, these crashed db's can be fixed without having to use a backup.....mine usually self-repair to some extent.
Can I try and restore the DB's myself?

If your set is like mine, you'd go in with the shell and first stop mysql - even if it is crashed....

then you'd start it again....

/etc/init.d/mysql stop

/etc/init.d/mysql start

So did I lose everything?

Their wording might be off, it may mean they cant restore a "single" innodb database (due to how the ibdata file works).

They may mean you have to restore the whole VPS to get it back... double check with them. If theyve done a snapshot of the entire VPS theres no reason why it wouldnt restore the database also.

Have you attempted to repair the tables?
Which ones are showing as crashed?
went to look at db and see this..
Code:
Error while connecting to MySQL: Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/tmp/mysql.sock' (2). Error from MySQL query: Can't call method "do" on an undefined value at /usr/local/cpanel/Cpanel/Mysql.pm line 1195.

1.webp

Their wording might be off, it may mean they cant restore a "single" innodb database (due to how the ibdata file works).

They may mean you have to restore the whole VPS to get it back... double check with them. If theyve done a snapshot of the entire VPS theres no reason why it wouldnt restore the database also.

@Slavik this is there reply..
Hi,

> They may mean you have to restore the whole VPS to get it back... double check with them.

This is correct. It is a full vps restore.

Top Bottom