My VPS Server Crashed

I use Bigscoots, they have been very good. Fully Managed and super fast support. For us noobs, usually a managed host is the best way to go for vps.
I use RedneckHost (they don't have a website up or anything because I haven't taken the time to do one - and it's only something for me to play with as I don't plan on doing VPS's anytime soon for others for pay :coffee: )

When doing backup's do you look for Storage size? Do RAM and bandwidth matter if its on 23GB of storage?
View attachment 69916

The RAM isn't going to matter. The bandwidth would matter if you had a lot more to backup, but at 23GB (or more as your sites get bigger), you shouldn't have to worry about upgrading for a long time.

As was said, get one that's physically close to your VPS server. The cheapest plan at Backup sy should do the trick rather nicely.

@Moshe1010 @WSWD
Do I need this addon?
addon.webp

Last edited:
:eek:You can set up a new user on your Backupsy product, then use the SFTP setting in cPanel backup to transfer your cPanel backup archives to the Backupsy product automatically.:eek:

???? anyone know how to do this?

:eek:You can set up a new user on your Backupsy product, then use the SFTP setting in cPanel backup to transfer your cPanel backup archives to the Backupsy product automatically.:eek:

Yes, it's one of the services I currently offer (setting up a backupsy VPS). Drop me a PM if you want :)

Under WHM/Backup/Backup Configuration
There's an option on that page for SFTP as a destination type.

I have a rsync cron job to my Synology at home. Simple and cheap compared to online storage. I have a decent upload in case if I need to restore.

I like this idea because with a combined file size of 30GB for my sites, using an on-line commercial backup is too expensive. I also like the idea of having immediate access to the backup (which I can further backup!) and for it to be non-proprietory.

Is there a "How to" for using rsync on a Windows 7 PC to backup regularly to a local drive or my NAS? How does the PC connect to the websites, by FTP?

I've some experience of writing .cmd files - I use one to robocopy (ie. mirror) my NAS to an external backup, but I've never tried to backup a web site to local.

I like this idea because with a combined file size of 30GB for my sites, using an on-line commercial backup is too expensive. I also like the idea of having immediate access to the backup (which I can further backup!) and for it to be non-proprietory.

Is there a "How to" for using rsync on a Windows 7 PC to backup regularly to a local drive or my NAS? How does the PC connect to the websites, by FTP?

I've some experience of writing .cmd files - I use one to robocopy (ie. mirror) my NAS to an external backup, but I've never tried to backup a web site to local.
Is the website you want to back up on a Windows server, or a Linux server?

I don't know about rsync for windows and how it works, but it would be best just backup directly from your server to your NAS. There is plenty of documentation about using rsync. To start this will help: http://www.thegeekstuff.com/2010/09/rsync-command-examples/

This will get you started. Just google the other questions you might have. Don't forget to set up the option to login at your NAS using a ssh key so you can automate the process with a cronjob without the need to fill in a password everytime you run it.

Under WHM/Backup/Backup Configuration
There's an option on that page for SFTP as a destination type.

Do I have to create a new Linux user?

The basic steps for the process are:

1. Create a new Linux user
2. Set a password for that user
3. Set up SFTP backup destination in cPanel

You need to install rsync on the server, and basically create a script to execute the required rsync command to sync the files with the remote box.

I use rsnapshot to my backup VPS, and then do a second rsync once a day to my NAS at home

Code:
#!/bin/bash

sshpass -p 'SOMETHINGHERE' /usr/bin/rsync -e "ssh -p PORT" -aruvP --itemize-changes --delete --human-readable --stats --log-file=/root/scripts/daily_nas.log /backup/daily.0/ root@NAS:/DIRS/Backups/

They are very good, I had a dedicated with them sometime back
LQWeb are on the expensive side, but you get what you pay for.
Yes they are. There are some ways to get under their prices. If you can get them to build you a custom server you can cut down on excess fat. For example, no one needs as much processing power as the amounts which come with many servers, cut that and add ram. Also cut the raid 4 and go to SSD raid 1.

Top Bottom