My VPS Server Crashed

You still have made an error in you cPanel configuration with the backup options.

Ok first step first. On your cPanel server make sure you have set up a directory for the backups. In my case I made the directory backup at the root so it's easy accessible and to remember. The backups will be stored in that directory on your local cpanel server after creation.

Don't select the option mount backup drive as needed. This is only needed in special cases (if you use a separate drive and want extra security). This is the step that you did wrong according the error.

Then you also have the option to retain backups in the default directory. Use this only if you know what it means. Read the discription. This option can be handy if your local server has less disk space then your backup server.

Now try to run the backup script again as you did before (with the --force option) to see if it's working.

And now, the last and most important question, how much is it worth to you if your server crashes tomorrow and you have lost all your data again? I think it's best you let someone with experience to take a look into your configuration and make sure for you it's being backupped properly. You have my details and I'm available ;)

You still have made an error in you cPanel configuration with the backup options.

Ok first step first. On your cPanel server make sure you have set up a directory for the backups. In my case I made the directory backup at the root so it's easy accessible and to remember. The backups will be stored in that directory on your local cpanel server after creation.

Don't select the option mount backup drive as needed. This is only needed in special cases (if you use a separate drive and want extra security). This is the step that you did wrong according the error.

Then you also have the option to retain backups in the default directory. Use this only if you know what it means. Read the discription. This option can be handy if your local server has less disk space then your backup server.

Now try to run the backup script again as you did before (with the --force option) to see if it's working.

And now, the last and most important question, how much is it worth to you if your server crashes tomorrow and you have lost all your data again? I think it's best you let someone with experience to take a look into your configuration and make sure for you it's being backupped properly. You have my details and I'm available ;)

Thanks everyone for the information...
After reading a bit looks like I changed the port numbers and forgot to put the information. I know have a Validated Success.. Also, found out that on WHM 11.42.0 to make if force backup you have to run the below. Fingers crossed see how things go now..:)
Code:
/usr/local/cpanel/bin/backup --force

WebHost_Manager_–_host_-_2014-03-23_22.58.40.webp

It normally is, the full whm backup file for each account includes the databases.
simplest way to find out is to download one of those files and extract the contents.

What is causing this?
Your running out of allocated file space. Something is using it. If this is a VPS then odds are the /dev/vzfs is a virtual file system.

How many backups are you storing on your server? do you know?
It sounds to me like it's filling up with backup files.
You really need a management company to look after your server.
http://www.webhostingtalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=139

Agreed. If @wickedstangs is not familiar with the administration of a Linux based server then it would be in his best interest to engage someone who is.

I would say it is potentially the backups. Are they deleting from the VPS after they are getting transferred to Backupsy? You don't want/need to store them locally once they have been transferred.

Your running out of allocated file space. Something is using it. If this is a VPS then odds are the /dev/vzfs is a virtual file system.
Agreed. If @wickedstangs is not familiar with the administration of a Linux based server then it would be in his best interest to engage someone who is.

guys it not rocket science.. Just my first time. With all the knowledge on this forum and I believe that is what forums are for (help). I have manage to successfully install everything my self and at @WSWD it was the locally stored backups thanks...

Again thank you all...

guys it not rocket science.. Just my first time. With all the knowledge on this forum and I believe that is what forums are for (help). I have manage to successfully install everything my self and at @WSWD it was the locally stored backups thanks...

Again thank you all...

You're welcome! This is exactly how you learn. If you get a management company, you're never going to learn how to do this stuff. We all had to start somewhere.

Again thank you all...
Agreed it's not "rocket science" but if you aren't familiar with Linux, and you have a server sitting out exposed on the internet, you can leave yourself wide open if you are not careful. That's one reason I tend not to use any panels (cPanel or any GUI type tools) is because it tends to "dumb" your exposure to the OS down.
The question you asked was answered by yourself when you asked it. ;)
The file system was reaching near full. Something was writing a large amount of data out to it.
If you haven't already, and if you have SSH access (if it's a VPS then odds are you do) and you haven't secured it (at the least by disabling root logon in the config file) and at the best by SSH keys and two factor authentication then you need to. Also installation of something like fail2ban or CSF is strongly recommended. I started with fail2ban but I REALLY like CSF (other than the fact now I tend to get around 350 emails a day from all the SSH attempts on the servers).

You're welcome! This is exactly how you learn. If you get a management company, you're never going to learn how to do this stuff. We all had to start somewhere.
I'm very leary of starting to "learn" on an internet exposed server especially with one that is storing what would be to me critical data. :coffee:
I taught myself how to "work it" on computers at the house and then progressed deeper into hades from there. :D

I'm very leary of starting to "learn" on an internet exposed server especially with one that is storing what would be to me critical data. :coffee:
I taught myself how to "work it" on computers at the house and then progressed deeper into hades from there. :D

It's not like the old days, unfortunately. Most people don't have extra linux boxes at home to play around with anymore. I still have the remnants of my playing...an old 386 I use as a footrest. Threw out the 8088 a couple years ago.

But how many people do you know these days have extra computers laying around that they can format and throw linux on and play? I can count on one hand the number of my personal friends who have extra computers laying around. It's just not like it used to be. Playing these days is often a cheap VPS or such.

It's not like the old days, unfortunately. Most people don't have extra linux boxes at home to play around with anymore. I still have the remnants of my playing...an old 386 I use as a footrest. Threw out the 8088 a couple years ago.
I recently "retired" my old 8088 that I had DesqView on. Had kept it around for sentimental reasons. My 386 with OS/2 is long gone.
But how many people do you know these days have extra computers laying around that they can format and throw linux on and play? I can count on one hand the number of my personal friends who have extra computers laying around. It's just not like it used to be.
Yes, most aren't like me (as I look to the left in my computer room at the 7 desktops and 2 servers sitting around/on the other 2 computer desks). BUT, with VM technology there is no reason to not play with it on your main computer. The theory remains the same. :D

Playing these days is often a cheap VPS or such.

No problem with a cheap VPS that isn't going to do anything important... but in this case he's using it to back (at the least) his DB for his forum up. Leaving it open leaves that DB available for others to grab.
If it's hacked and used as a zombie - no big deal, just trash it and recreate it - but I wouldn't want my data for my forums being out there for the hacker to grab. If the forum is on a VPS then the same recommendations apply.

The other problem is once a server is hacked and used as a zombie... into a blacklist the IP eventually goes and anyone later who gets that IP then has to deal with the hassle of trying to get it removed from them or face the effects of their mail not getting delivered (I had that happen on one of the servers I had - eventually just had the host assign me a new "clean" IP).

Top Bottom