My new babies ...

It's actually a mitre saw :)

A table saw would be something like this:
ridgid.webp

I may get one of those after we've moved - they weigh 125kg so they're not very portable :D

It's what I would consider an entry level table saw, but the price in no way reflects the capabilities.

It's very accomplished for the price but of course not a match for a decent cabinet saw.

With a couple of in- and out- feed tables though, I expect there's not much you can't do with it that you can do with a cabinet saw costing 3 or 4 times (or more) as much.

It accepts a stacked dado blade, has a great fence, and a cast iron bed.

:drool:

It's what I would consider an entry level table saw, but the price in no way reflects the capabilities.

It's very accomplished for the price but of course not a match for a decent cabinet saw.

With a couple of in- and out- feed tables though, I expect there's not much you can't do with it that you can do with a cabinet saw costing 3 or 4 times (or more) as much.

It accepts a stacked dado blade, has a great fence, and a cast iron bed.

:drool:
I will say this, it does not have the capabilities of the machines I am used to.

Removing the included bolt on tables and using something home-made with a smooth top is surely a big help but I have to say that I am disappointed with the power of this saw versus the cost of investment (for what I want to be doing with it).

I am completely used to being able use one saw for anything from panels to 14/4 mahogany and knew I would not be doing things like the latter but even some thicker stock sheets make a variety of high end blades struggle to the point that one piece of stock @1.5" was able to stop the blade completely and (by the time I could let go of the stock with one hand) trip the dedicated breaker which was REALLY disappointing to be completely honest. I haven't had to deal with that any time in the recent past.

The saw is surprisingly mobile all thing considered but if you have the indoor space you can permanently dedicate to a 240v / 3hp cabinet saw and can throw another 1400 bucks on top of cost of the rigid I surely would if you do this kind of stuff on the regular. If you can make some feed tables and will only use a table here and there this will get the job done in many cases but I would be hesitant and patient (as in saving coin before purchasing) and see what you could find used if this is an option.

I was looking around at one point for a used 240v and found lots of potential for good prices. As long as the surfaces are decent and the mechanics are good the machine can easily be refurbished and painted and if you can get into one for less than 1000 that will never fail you and only needs a small amount of elbow-grease I would say that it is well worth the extra spent on top of any consumer grade saw.

For the rigid saw though, yes you can not get anything anywhere close to it for anywhere near the price range.

Last edited:
I may get one of those after we've moved - they weigh 125kg so they're not very portable :D

Although, this one too is as you say, somewhat of an entry level, I've found it to be quite adequate for my projects (with some added roller stands for larger pieces). What's been really handy is it's portability capabilities as I agree, moving them can be a pain.
847962005083.jpg

I had to pass on a second hand $1,500 cabinet saw yesterday :(

We don't move to our new place until August and there's just no room for it where we're renting.

One of these days ...

...there's just no room for it...

One of these days ...
Been telling myself that one for about 13 years now, luckily for you 6 months is pretty short term in comparison :)

I believe they have pretty secure and cheap self storage down there...no?

If the savings on a used one is substantial enough (vs item value) to warrant jumping on it you might be able to work out a deal for some thing like 6 months @ 35/month at one of the storage places out there and if it still works out mathematically you won't loose out on the opportunity to pick up the unit.

It's actually a mitre saw :)

A table saw would be something like this:
View attachment 148093

Yes you're quite correct, that's some very expensive machinery as well. Better know what you're doing too, I've known a few people to lose a finger or two or dummies who don't wear goggles or eye protection.

I wish I was skilled at building stuff, I walk in Home Depot and marvel at this kind of equipment and the very high prices. But if you think about it, they money you pay others to do it for you, in the long run you probably save money by being able to do it yourself. lol

My next purchase (once we move) will be a table saw.

At 300lbs I don't really want to be lugging that thing about from place to place.
Oh one more thing Pau, do you buy that in the UK? Seems having it shipped from the states would cost you a fortune. :)

My washing machine decided to showcase her ole rodeo bronco skills and toss like 5-7 gallons of water all over the wooden floor and walls.

I figure while I had to clean and fix that I should move the water feeds and drain to a better location and I feel like I just don't have all the tools I need for this job.

Irony is that while tools are all ridiculously expensive, buying a reusable tool once for the most part costs less than paying someone to do it for you just that once.

I hate plumbing and keep putting off working on it, blah...I would rather be working on the drywall art for the winter. This kind of stuff...
a268151c2ce50adc0a1e8fb3533b3962.gif

maxresdefault.webp

One of the Home Depot's close to us has a Ridgid R4512 in stock ... I don't think my car would forgive me if I dumped one of those in the boot (trunk) :D

I managed to get it on the cart in the shop and then into the boot (trunk) of the car on my own, but I had to ask the neighbour to help me with it when I get home.

It's heavy!

It's actually not the legs that are heavy as they are actually very light and there is almost nothing to them. It is literally the table top and the motor that make up the weight.

Top Bottom