My new babies ...

The Ridgid went back after 2 days, without even plugging it in.

The cast iron top wasn't level but worse than that, I couldn't heel (parallel) the blade to the mitre gauge slot or fence - it was about 0.4mm out front to back of the blade.

So, the big question is, do I really treat myself? :D

http://www.grizzly.com/products/10-Hybrid-Table-Saw-with-T-Shaped-Fence/G0771Z

Almost a thousand bucks with sales tax and shipping ... :|

Like the contractor-style saw, it's still light enough to move around (it weighs approximately 286 lbs. when fully assembled) and it's easy on the budget.

Lol, wrong on both counts.

The cast iron top wasn't level but worse than that, I couldn't heel (parallel) the blade to the mitre gauge slot or fence - it was about 0.4mm out front to back of the blade.
I'm not even going to tell you how I squared mine up...

Needless to say I won't buy another table saw until I can afford to get what I would call "a real saw".

Well that just sux. :(

Indeed.

I was a tad disappointed considering I spent two days assembling and squaring it.

A misaligned blade on a table saw is a serious safety issue though - it can cause binding and kickbacks, and kickbacks aren't good.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

So it had to go back.

Ohh yeah, I know it all to well.

The first video appears to be more like a plainer though and not a table saw. The second video, the woods probably would have never kicked back if the guard was in place.

Agreed - guards and more importantly, a riving knife and pawls help a lot with kickback, but even then, a misaligned blade on a table saw is about as much use as an ashtray on a motorbike :D

To be honest rigid is kind of a crap brand when it comes down to tolerances like that. Our shop has all kinds of stuff from them and it's all decent and we never had an issue. But the saw we use to cut down surfaces sure as hell isn't from them lol.

ALL table saws that home and hardware stores carry in stock and on the showroom floor generally suck.

It's all a matter of do you have 2000 + dollars and can afford to order a real table saw from a catalog or not.

Like...you want a Ferrari but all you are getting for the low end price is a fiero.

Like...you want a Ferrari but all you are getting for the low end price is a fiero.
Or sometimes you can come across a jewel. ;)
This was a present (surprise one) from my beautiful wife. Of course, she's trying to wean me from the motorcycle(s).

abarth.webp

Last edited:
Top Bottom