My ideas for a better Xenforo

If it's the same TinyMCE editor that was used in Subdreamer CMS it really needs to go. Added lots of crap to postings, I mean lots of it that is in the background.
Something tells me Kier and Mike didn't just add it and hoped it work. I'm pretty sure they would've removed all of the crap and replaced it with the syntax that helps keep the forum's semantic mark-up.

Something tells me Kier and Mike didn't just add it and hoped it work. I'm pretty sure they would've removed all of the crap and replaced it with the syntax that helps keep the forum's semantic mark-up.
Very hopefully, used to hate it on Subdreamer. Maybe it was the way they implemented it.

That and it doesn't appear in Safari, and hasn't ever. So on my iPad and on other people's Mac's (I have Firefox on my mac) it means I'm restricted to simple posts with no formatting and no picture posting :(

The problem with the TinyMCE editor is it adds a lot of extra characters to the post.

Take this post for example which I have higlighted all the text and then applied a different font to.

The code is actually this:

Code:
[FONT=verdana]The problem with the TinyMCE editor is it adds a lot of extra characters to the post.[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=verdana][FONT=verdana][FONT=verdana][FONT=verdana][FONT=verdana][FONT=verdana][FONT=verdana]Takes this post for example which I have higlighted all the text and then applied a different font to.[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=verdana][FONT=verdana][FONT=verdana][FONT=verdana][FONT=verdana][FONT=verdana][FONT=verdana]The code is actually this:[/FONT]
[/FONT][/FONT]
[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]

There should just be one font setting at the start and end, not for each line.
Imagine how many extra characters that's going to be for a post with 20 or 30 lines of text (with line breaks).
[/code][/code][/code]
[/FONT][/FONT]

Oops!

It seems to have added lots of extra BBCode tags on its own.
Another reason why it needs to be reviewed as it will screw up a lot of posts by people who aren't that savvy.[/code][/code][/FONT][/FONT]

Edit: I tried editing the post several times to remove part of the post from the code box but it just got worse and worse. In the end I had to resort to using the plain text editor.[/code][/FONT]

I tried editing the post above several times to remove part of the post from the code box but it just got worse and worse.
In the end I had to resort to using the plain text editor but that still didn't solve it.
The editor is so buggy it's going to cause major problems IMO.

And it looks like subsequent posts keep the font from the previous post?

My Question about CKEditor, is does it have native BBCode support? I know TinyMCE editor isn't brilliant but the BBCode support is standard so requires no hard work from Kier/Mike is the same true about CKEditor as there is not BBCode example in their demo. Nor is it mentioned anywhere else... Having it as a fully HTML editor is pointless in my opinion.

BB code "support" really isn't all that helpful.

Regarding TinyMCE vs CKEditor, both are going to have similar though ultimately different issues for the sort of usage we need. Really, any WYSIWYG editor will. If you have particular issues with our editor, then please post them in bugs, but realize that a different editor would likely have its own set.

Things like table support, etc really has nothing to do with the WYSIWYG editor that's being used. We don't show you the tags because they don't exist as mark up we allow.

Regarding TinyMCE vs CKEditor, both are going to have similar though ultimately different issues for the sort of usage we need. Really, any WYSIWYG editor will. If you have particular issues with our editor, then please post them in bugs, but realize that a different editor would likely have its own set.

Things like table support, etc really has nothing to do with the WYSIWYG editor that's being used. We don't show you the tags because they don't exist as mark up we allow.

Ahhh fair enough, I guess all the HTML -> BBCode is done on server side/custom JS then? I though you were using the BBCode support as standard in TinyMCE... I am not corrected :D...

I think peoples biggest qualms with TinyMCE is its bad markup with things like font sizes and colors etc... a large block of text that has the same style and color should only have one font BBCode instead it adds it around every line and sometimes 3-4 per line it is crazy.

The other thing is the general look and feel of TinyMCE doesn't fit in with the modern and fancy look of XenForo...

Frightening! I sure hope this gets resolved, as my community is not made up of all coders. A sleek, straightforward WYSIWYG editor without all of that code overhead is what my audience must have.

... We don't show you the tags because they don't exist as mark up we allow.
Thanks very much for the clarification Mike.

Jeez, imagine this... We're actually in direct dialogue with the key developers.
You guys are really spoiling us.
Thanks

I'd like to see a full editor integrated with all features.

Seems every forum software has strip down things.

I'm pro CKeditor myself.

I don't see any reason why one would choose TinyMCE over CKeditor. Sure both have their issues, but at the end of the day CKeditor brings more to the table.

Also another suggestion that nobody seems to have made is to use both editors (CKeditor default) and let the users decide via their personal settings what editor they want to use.

I don't see any reason why one would choose TinyMCE over CKeditor. Sure both have their issues, but at the end of the day CKeditor brings more to the table.

Also another suggestion that nobody seems to have made is to use both editors (CKeditor default) and let the users decide via their personal settings what editor they want to use.

I don't want to see the software price go up.

Licenses CKEditor to be distributed as an integrated part of your software product. This is a royalty free license.
Price: US $1450

Renewal: $1090

I don't see a price increase anytime soon. $140 is already a bit too salty for what XenForo currently brings to the table compared to other solutions.

Top Bottom