My concerns about "Conversations"

Because I don't like to leave personal stuff in an online forum. Being able to delete conversations is also repeatedly requested by the members of my forum; they sell second hand items and it's understandable they want to delete it.
But deleting PMs in other software only deletes the copy that's sat in your Inbox, it doesn't delete the separate copies that reside in other user's inboxes. So really there's no difference in leaving a conversation in XenForo - you leave and it's gone from your conversations list but it still remains for others unless they leave too.

I think of PMs as like email.
I can certainly delete my copy of an email but cannot force others to delete their copies nor can I prevent them from forwarding those emails to additional parties. Once you hit send on anything, it's pretty much no longer yours.

Nothing you put on a forum is truly private, so the first thing everyone has to do is realize that. Isn't that why they're called "Conversations" and not "Private Messages" or "Private Conversations"?

Thanks, then I need some template edits :) so the conversations are deleted from the db in this case?
If every user in a conversation (whether it's 2 or 20) decides to leave the conversation so that no more participants remain then the conversation will be deleted from the database.

Top Bottom