Multiple Instances of Resource Manager

Kintaro

If Resource Manager could have independent multiple instances, 3rd party addons could extend only a specific instance.

For example in a single installation of xenforo we could have:
an addon that extend an instance of RM to a Shop
an addon that extend an instance of RM to a Classified System
an addon that extend an instance of RM to an Event System
an addon that extend an instance of RM to a Reviews System
etc

Every instances will get its specific permissions/phrases etc.

There's an unsupported addon that can do this, but:
  1. is unsupported and have issues with other addons
  2. I think that have this in the core can give xenforo another great boost
What do you think about this?

Upvote 66
This is not only a valuable suggestion for the RM, but also greatly affects addons. This suggestions has come up as a vital suggestion for various addons. It would also make addon developers life's easier if XF has such functionality.
There is really absolutely nothing here that would be generalizable. If someone wanted to implement this with the implication of the original suggestion (which is literally multiple copies, different tables, etc), they're going to need to build every part of the add-on from the ground up for it and do a lot of weird stuff. If anything, you probably need an add-on that dynamically builds the entire add-on, replacing bits as necessary (including table names, template names, phrase names, add-on names, class names, etc...)

So I can say for a fact that will not happen. But should I say this is not planned? Hard to say. There are comments in the first post that won't happen on the basis of what I've said, but if people want more separation between RM (or even forum) "sections", maybe there's a possibility of something like that happening. (Which is why I have generally left this here.)

if people want more separation between RM (or even forum) "sections", maybe there's a possibility of something like that happening.
There are multiple roads to Rome. The main thought behind suggestions like this is that people want to have sections that look separated, so that the same functionality can be reused. As I illustrated in this suggestion.

This need comes up for many of the larger addons, including the RM. But also for forums itself. For example for language forums. It's essentially the same need of showing separated sections.

So a way to set more separation between sections would satisfy this need.

If someone wanted to implement this with the implication of the original suggestion (which is literally multiple copies, different tables, etc), they're going to need to build every part of the add-on from the ground up for it and do a lot of weird stuff.

but if people want more separation between RM (or even forum) "sections", maybe there's a possibility of something like that happening
ExpressionEngine's Forum module allows multiple, different instances of forums. Each separate forum has its own search engine, URL, settings, i.e. styles, attachment/topics/post preferences, etc. By looking at its database, I'm sure it's not replicating or have different tables.

Maybe something like that can be done in RM too :)

So I can say for a fact that will not happen. But should I say this is not planned? Hard to say. There are comments in the first post that won't happen on the basis of what I've said, but if people want more separation between RM (or even forum) "sections", maybe there's a possibility of something like that happening. (Which is why I have generally left this here.)
I think that more separation between RM (and forum) sections can be a very good compromise, can you make some examples about what do you mean with that?

I use multiple versions of the RM in my testforum for different content and different behaviour to try and test, what is possible. It can be done in some hours depending what you need and what you dont need. The most time i have spent to remove all parts that should not be used and should not be visible. Together with custom addons for the RM/Versions you can really have a lot of fun with it. But normally you can buy an addon from Bob for example to have something equal without any headaches with the next update.

The RM is special done for selling addons, with a versions-management, the update-table and other functions.
If i would be a programer with time and money, i would do something equal, but with some more basic and less specialized functions.
I would produce something like a mother-system. If it is done with a chooseable {prefix} for all the stuff inside, you could install it more than one time for a forum. And after that you change your different systems with addons to that, what you need.

Top Bottom