XF 1.5 Multiple Imports

thenashy

I'm finding the lack of options available with importing to be a bit of a pain. Our idea was to do an initial import, setup themes, addons, and everything the way we needed, then simply re-import users and posts over the top of the existing tables.

Am I correct in assuming the only way to do what we need is setup clean, import, setup, then go live? It's going to really suck to have the extra hours of downtime, so I'm wondering if there is a better way?

It depends what you're setting up. You can setup your style before importing. You can potentially install add-ons, though there is a risk of them interfering with the import; that would need to be determined on a case-by-case basis. If you are intending on maintaining IDs, then you can't have any data (users, forums, posts, and similar) in the system beyond what is created with an initial installation.

I would recommend making a full backup (DB and filesystem) before starting the import. This will allow you to revert back to that state and restart the import if needed.

It depends what you're setting up. You can setup your style before importing. You can potentially install add-ons, though there is a risk of them interfering with the import; that would need to be determined on a case-by-case basis. If you are intending on maintaining IDs, then you can't have any data (users, forums, posts, and similar) in the system beyond what is created with an initial installation.

I would recommend making a full backup (DB and filesystem) before starting the import. This will allow you to revert back to that state and restart the import if needed.

Yeah. The implications could cause more headaches. I'm thinking the safest bet is hand over some folding and employ someone to do the import. I havea bad habbit of making dumb decisions that mean things break!

Thanks for your reply.

So we are just looking into this again now. The only modifications we are going to have for launch are:

Kotomi - To display headers and footers on custom pages (Not working yet :-( )
Enhanced search

We have pulled DB-Tech likes across, but again, we would do this after our final Import if that was required. The following changes have been made outside of the theme we are working on:

- Prefixes
- A few permissions here or there (We will have to re-do these again later I'm sure)
- 4 custom pages - Not working yet, but copy paste is easy if we can't leave them

Either way, what's the quickest way to get another import done? Ideally, we would like to import posts and user data that has changed, rather than pulling the entire DB again. But if this really isn't possible, then so be it.

Thanks guys.

Ideally, we would like to import posts and user data that has changed, rather than pulling the entire DB again. But if this really isn't possible, then so be it.
That's not possible, so it is basically a matter of reverting to a pre-import backup or doing a fresh install to do another import.

And I've just put 2 and 2 together and realised who you are. You're a legend in this little world of forums mate. You deserve so much more praise than I think you get for what you've done over all of these years!

Top Bottom