Implemented Multi-quote

This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
I'm agree with the post, the actual quote system is not working nice, that thing is stopping many people to change from vbulleting to xenforo like me.
You cant quote through pages and quoting a single message moves you to the bottom of the page. Forums are based on communication and easy quoting people should be a must have

Although multi-quote per se hasn't been implemented, it can be done on across pages with a workaround - using the save draft option in the editor. Click reply on the post(s) on one page, click to save draft, move to another page, click reply there and all quoted posts are in the editor. I did this with a post from each of the 3 pages in this thread:

It's been suggested many times, and hopefully it'll be added in a future version.
I used MQ all the time when I was using another software.
For reference, the original suggestion for multi-quote is here: http://xenforo.com/community/threads/suggestion-multi-quote.3694/
I'm agree with the post, the actual quote system is not working nice, that thing is stopping many people to change from vbulleting to xenforo like me.
You cant quote through pages and quoting a single message moves you to the bottom of the page. Forums are based on communication and easy quoting people should be a must have

Not perfect but a workable solution for now.

The multiquote ability is there. It's just that it's so clunky as to be annoying.. Others here have described the constant need to scroll back up after every quote is inserted. But this also affects regular quoting. If you want to quote one message at a time, you are also forced to scroll back up to keep reading.

I actually stopped answering questions in a XF forum I belong to because it is so difficult to quote member questions, day in and day out, using XF. This would be so easy to fix I keep wondering why such talented people are not doing it. Is there a copyright issue keeping this from happening?

There are any number of ways to fix this while still handling everything via the quick reply box.

1. Retain the current method of plopping everything into the quick reply box, but don't jump down there every time a reply button is pressed. Instead, pop up a confirmation message that a quote has been added, and have a link on the message in case the person wants to skip down to the box. This is not very refined, but it's more usable than what they have now.

2. Change the reply button to say quote. When it is pressed it changes color and a "+" is added. Press again and it reverts. Nothing is added to the quick reply box until the user presses a button on the quick reply box for inserting the quote buffer. I actually prefer this to number 1 because then the quotes can be held until the end of the thread, or even across threads. As it stands now, the user can only quote a page at a time.

Last edited:
The multiquote ability is there. It's just that it's so clunky as to be annoying.. Others here have described the constant need to scroll back up after every quote is inserted. But this also affects regular quoting. If you want to quote one message at a time, you are also forced to scroll back up to keep reading.

I actually stopped answering questions in a XF forum I belong to because it is so difficult to quote member questions, day in and day out, using XF. This would be so easy to fix I keep wondering why such talented people are not doing it. Is there a copyright issue keeping this from happening?

There are any number of ways to fix this while still handling everything via the quick reply box.

1. Retain the current method of plopping everything into the quick reply box, but don't jump down there every time a reply button is pressed. Instead, pop up a confirmation message that a quote has been added, and have a link on the message in case the person wants to skip down to the box. This is not very refined, but it's more usable than what they have now.

2. Change the reply button to say quote. When it is pressed it changes color and a "+" is added. Press again and it reverts. Nothing is added to the quick reply box until the user presses a button on the quick reply box for inserting the quote buffer. I actually prefer this to number 1 because then the quotes can be held until the end of the thread, or even across threads. As it stands now, the user can only quote a page at a time.
Amen.

The reason the multi quote feature is so valuable is that it stops people from posting multiple posts...it can all be contained in one nice tidy little package. But the jumping around even with the save draft function in 1.2 is awkward to say the least. Vb did have it right...well at least they had ONE thing right. :p

Amen.

The reason the multi quote feature is so valuable is that it stops people from posting multiple posts...it can all be contained in one nice tidy little package.

The thing is, because multi-quote and single-quote use the same method here, even if someone only quotes one message, he loses his place in the thread. When I'm using a XF forum, most of the time I give up on trying to read entire threads after I post one reply. Or I just refrain from replying so I can more easily read a thread.

Hmm... I read through this thread and sorry if I am not understanding it right away, but if I click Reply three times on page one (on let's say the first three posts), and then I click on page 2 in the navigation... the quotes are gone. Is it intended to "work" this way?

I wasn't too fussed about the loss of multiple quote across multiple pages but there have been a few instances where I could have used it here. So good suggestion and +1

FWIW, one of XF's competitors figured out how to use the quick reply box for all replies (as XF is trying to do), while also supporting single quote, multi-quote, and partial quotes across pages and across threads. And it doesn't force you to lose your place in the thread you are quoting. If you are curious, take a look at the beta of Burning Board 4.

FWIW, one of XF's competitors figured out how to use the quick reply box for all replies (as XF is trying to do), while also supporting single quote, multi-quote, and partial quotes across pages and across threads. And it doesn't force you to lose your place in the thread you are quoting. If you are curious, take a look at the beta of Burning Board 4.
Their postbit looks like vb5, breadcrumb like xf and they took a good look at IPB as well :rolleyes: but the way the multi quotes work is a step in the right direction.

Top Bottom