1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moving from VBulletin 4.2.1 - Forum DB size around 10gb

Discussion in 'XenForo Pre-Sales Questions' started by joroom, Dec 7, 2014.

1. joroom

joroom Member

Hey all,

I am thinking of moving from vbulletin to xenforo. My DB size is around 10 gb with more than 28k threads and 1.3M posts.

I understand that there is an import tool here available, question is, will it be able to handle importing my DB ? without timing out ? is there a shell script ? to do it in a faster way ?

Thanks
    Jo

2. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

3. joroom

joroom Member

Thank you. So the web importer is enough ? I dont need a shell importer yes ?

4. Brogan

The web importer will take some time but it will do it.

There is a third party importer which is faster however, if downtime is an important factor for you.

5. joroom

joroom Member

Can you please link me to the 3rd party importer ? (if it is stable)

One last question, i have dragonbyte's like system installed. Is their any 3rd party service or addon that can import those likes i have there ?

6. Brogan

7. joroom

joroom Member

Thank you for your quick replies.

See you on the other side :)

Jay likes this.
  8. Brogan

Once (if) you purchase a license, you will have access to the customer forums, including import support, so you would be able to post any specific questions there.

Good luck!

Andrej, joroom and Jay like this.
  9. Carlos

Carlos Well-Known Member

That's a third party plugin, so I don't think it's possible to import those likes. There are some plugins that convert likes to xf likes, but the plugin has to be extremely popular, like the "Thanks" plugin on the vB3/4 (I think?) line.

(Just checked the link. Not sure if it's the same plugin as the one I'm thinking of...?)

10. rainmotorsports

rainmotorsports Well-Known Member

Heh depending on how it is recorded in the database it might be as easy as 1 single SQL command. Only took 3 or so to import all of our donations from a 3rd party vb plugin to a 3rd party xf plugin. I haven't looked at XF's likes but you basically talking content id, user id and if the name is manually recorded just need to do a join off the user table to get them.

11. greenchicken

greenchicken Member

I use SSD Drives on my server and I have a 1 gb Database It took a little over an hour to convert it all over from 4.21, Best move I ever made though... Took an SEO hit, but Google has already indexed around 100k links in less than 2 weeks.

Lost about 35% Revenue in the first week but after 2 weeks revenue is about the same as it was before I switched. I had a license for a couple years before I pulled the plug on VB but I really like XF better now that I am getting a better feel for it.

12. RobParker

RobParker Well-Known Member

That's a BIG VB database for not a massive site. When we migrated we had around 3 million posts and our database was around 4GB.

Have you got a massive search index that could be emptied prior to moving?

13. joroom

joroom Member

How many users did you have ?

14. RobParker

Around 25K.

15. joroom

joroom Member

Thank you, and what import tool did you use ?

16. RobParker

We used the default CLI importer (this was several years ago now before the big board importers were made).

17. joroom

joroom Member

I am finding it a bit (actually very) long procedure especially when importing the users (with/without gravatar) it is taking around 12 hours to do it.

Did you face this ? and how did you fix it ?

Thanks

18. RobParker

The users was quick but the posts took several hours. I'd suggest looking at the newer big board importers.

19. Claudio

Claudio Well-Known Member

We also offer import services for big boards as well