Thinking of Moving from vBulletin to XenForo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amaury

Hello!

So moving to XenForo was brought up once before, but ended up being rejected. However, I like XenForo about as much as vBulletin now and therefore think it might be nice to move just for something different.

Right now, this is not a definite, just a thought, mostly because I need to see if our owner can afford a license, but I brought up the idea of moving KH-Flare, which is on vBulletin 4.2.2 at the moment, to XenForo, which I'm awaiting feedback from the owner and our other staff, and I've got some questions:

1. There is now an official vBulletin to XenForo importer. Does this come with the software or is it a separate fee?
  2. Can we opt out from importing friends / contacts? When @mistypants moved KH-Vids from vBulletin to XenForo in August 2012, some friends imported as followers while others imported as following, which became quite confusing. We don't have a big member base, so I'd rather just go around and follow who I was friends with before.
  3. Following the above, we'd rather have a professional do the import to make sure nothing is lost (threads, posts, groups, group posts, etc.). Who would you guys suggest from a third-party service?
  4. How long would it take to set up XenForo and import our data, which can be seen on the Forum Statistics sidebar block in the the KH-Flare hyperlink above. However, if you don't feel like looking for the statistics, we have 1,320 threads, 10,514 posts and 88 members plus all the group posts, although I'm not sure if those are counted.
  5. How are private and visitor messages imported?
These are all the questions I can think of at the moment.

Getting rid of vBulletin and want to change. XenForo is a serious option as boardsoftware. Having some questions:

Heard that previous devellopers from vBulletin do join XenForo, is that true?

The demo is only valid for a three day trial period. Is it possible to try it for a longer period, just for personal use and to get familair, have a look at functions, modules etc. We are with two people who want to check & try it.

You can send in a ticket support and an extension may be possible. Mind you that you cannot build your site on the demo and move it to a live site later.

If they are comments in vBulletin, yes, they should be comments in XenForo. You have the ability to do test imports after the purchase of a license.
You can even test import before purchasing - XenForo demo allows you to import remote databases.

Getting rid of vBulletin and want to change. XenForo is a serious option as boardsoftware. Having some questions:

Heard that previous devellopers from vBulletin do join XenForo, is that true?

The demo is only valid for a three day trial period. Is it possible to try it for a longer period, just for personal use and to get familair, have a look at functions, modules etc. We are with two people who want to check & try it.
XenForo is formed by 3 former vB guys - Kier, Mike and Ashley.

If you want to extend your trial period, best way is to contact XenForo via the Contact Us form to see if they can give you an extended demo offer. Otherwise, just set up your board again - it's not that hard to do so.

Today is the day.

Our owner at KH-Flare, @Night Shade, already has a XenForo license for another site he runs, but if I remember correctly, each license can only have one live site and one test site, so he'll have to get another license for KH-Flare, correct?

Also, does the vBulletin importer come with the purchase?

Correct.

One license is required per install.

The Pre-Sales FAQ in my signature details the built in importers.

Thank you, Paul.

I'm a little confused on something, though. You say that he'll need to purchase a new license for KH-Flare, but your FAQ says a single license can have multiple domains (sites). Am I misreading that?

Brogan said:
Can multiple domains or subdomains be used with a single license?
Yes, as long as the domains or subdomains all resolve to the same installation, all of the content is available at every domain or subdomain, and there is no attempt to make them appear as separate installations.

You can point multiple domains to one installation, but you must have one license per seperate installation of XenForo.

Just to see if I'm understanding right:
  • If Site A and Site B are both about video games, then they can both be on one license.
  • If Site A is about video games and Site B is about human health, separate licenses are required.
Is that right?

Yeah, I saw that, but then I read further down how more than one domain (site) could be on a single license; that's what confused me.!
The word "site" is not mentioned anywhere in the relevant FAQ answer. Understand that you can point multiple domains to one site:

domain.com
domain.fr
domain.ru

All those can point to one site = one installation = one license. Your misunderstanding here is that you think that one domain means one site. Not always...

The word "site" is not mentioned anywhere in the relevant FAQ answer. Understand that you can point multiple domains to one site:

domain.com
domain.fr
domain.ru

All those can point to one site = one installation = one license. :)

Got it.

I also have some more quick questions:

• Do we just install XenForo as if it were a fresh install or do we do something different since we'll be importing?
  • Do we need to do any domain stuff (redirecting, etc.) or does the importer do that?

well technically I'm only importing the one domain (kh-flare) I have no interest or meaning to import any others because the very first domain I purchased a license for with xenforo is obviously already licensed, so I have no reason for importing other domains with kh-flare.=/

Just to clarify, which are the two sites you currently own, which software do they run on and what do you plan to do with each site?

We probably shouldn't be down very long, huh?

• Threads: 1,306
  • Members: 88
  • Active Members: 12

Just to clarify, which are the two sites you currently own, which software do they run on and what do you plan to do with each site?

• KH-Flare: vBulletin
  • The Prism Spectrum: XenForo
  • Unplugged: XenForo

I think the last two were the ones @Night Shade was referring to. As for what he's planning to do, I'm not quite sure. However, I do know that The Prism Spectrum is for people like him who have things like tourette syndrome and Unplugged has to do with Pokémon.

the first site is called pokemon-unplugged.net and the second is the site we are importing to XF, and I plan on using Pokemon Unplugged or (PU) for shortas a Fan Site, KH-flare is the site we are importing.=)
This site (The Prism Spectrum) that amaury specified is installed with the xenforo script used for the installation of PU (Pokemon Unplugged)

however pokemon Upolugged is under construction atm where the prism spectrum I have yet to construct atm.=/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom