Moving from VBulletin 4.2.1 - Forum DB size around 10gb

joroom

Hey all,

I am thinking of moving from vbulletin to xenforo. My DB size is around 10 gb with more than 28k threads and 1.3M posts.

I understand that there is an import tool here available, question is, will it be able to handle importing my DB ? without timing out ? is there a shell script ? to do it in a faster way ?

Thanks
Jo

The web importer will take some time but it will do it.

There is a third party importer which is faster however, if downtime is an important factor for you.

The web importer will take some time but it will do it.

There is a third party importer which is faster however, if downtime is an important factor for you.

Can you please link me to the 3rd party importer ? (if it is stable)

One last question, i have dragonbyte's like system installed. Is their any 3rd party service or addon that can import those likes i have there ?

One last question, i have dragonbyte's like system installed. Is their any 3rd party service or addon that can import those likes i have there ?
That's a third party plugin, so I don't think it's possible to import those likes. There are some plugins that convert likes to xf likes, but the plugin has to be extremely popular, like the "Thanks" plugin on the vB3/4 (I think?) line.

(Just checked the link. Not sure if it's the same plugin as the one I'm thinking of...?)

That's a third party plugin, so I don't think it's possible to import those likes. There are some plugins that convert likes to xf likes, but the plugin has to be extremely popular, like the "Thanks" plugin on the vB3/4 (I think?) line.

(Just checked the link. Not sure if it's the same plugin as the one I'm thinking of...?)

Heh depending on how it is recorded in the database it might be as easy as 1 single SQL command. Only took 3 or so to import all of our donations from a 3rd party vb plugin to a 3rd party xf plugin. I haven't looked at XF's likes but you basically talking content id, user id and if the name is manually recorded just need to do a join off the user table to get them.

I use SSD Drives on my server and I have a 1 gb Database It took a little over an hour to convert it all over from 4.21, Best move I ever made though... Took an SEO hit, but Google has already indexed around 100k links in less than 2 weeks.

Lost about 35% Revenue in the first week but after 2 weeks revenue is about the same as it was before I switched. I had a license for a couple years before I pulled the plug on VB but I really like XF better now that I am getting a better feel for it.

That's a BIG VB database for not a massive site. When we migrated we had around 3 million posts and our database was around 4GB.

Have you got a massive search index that could be emptied prior to moving?

We used the default CLI importer (this was several years ago now before the big board importers were made).
I am finding it a bit (actually very) long procedure especially when importing the users (with/without gravatar) it is taking around 12 hours to do it.

Did you face this ? and how did you fix it ?

Thanks

I am finding it a bit (actually very) long procedure especially when importing the users (with/without gravatar) it is taking around 12 hours to do it.

Did you face this ? and how did you fix it ?

Thanks

The users was quick but the posts took several hours. I'd suggest looking at the newer big board importers.

Top Bottom