Moving forums and PP Pro galleries

Bombardier

Hi all
Recently started looking for a replacement for my VB forums and Photopost Pro galleries.
Like the look of this software but I am limited in my knowledge and would need help to migrate everything over. Is it possible to move over all my photos from my PP pro galleries?, they are sorted into many categories and and users personal albums. I assume it would be easy enough to move the forum posts and member database. I know it will be expensive and I will have to pay somebody to do the work but i think Xenofor have got this thing bang on!.

Ok so I am doing some testing on your demo and I noticed when i inserted a long description for a photo that all the formatting had gone, in particular the paragraphing. is there a way to rectify this.
I only ask as the photo uploaded to my PP galleries have some lengthy descriptions and are currently paragraphed.
Will they be so when I import them over?

No. Descriptions within XenForo as a whole, including the Resource Manager are pretty consistent in that they are usually small plain text based snippets that sit underneath the title. They aren't designed for special formatting or lengthy content.

They're actually limited by default to 300 characters, too, so you will need to raise this limit before doing the import.

As an alternative, although migrating to them is somewhat of a pain, you can use custom fields which do include a "rich text" type. There's actually a built in custom field named "Caption" which was designed for this very purpose.

just trying out the PP import on your demo page, finished the VB import but got this error when attempting to import attachements

Mysqli statement execute error : Duplicate entry '2' for key 'PRIMARY'

also I am now trying to find the "Archived Import log" I did not make a note of it and it is required for the PP Vb integration import

Thanks for the link.

Did the attachments import fail completely? It seems as though the forum import itself is finished - did you end up skipping the attachments step? Or did you try running the forum import twice?

If you couldn't get the attachments import to run at all, this could be down to keeping the "retain content IDs" option checked, and then importing into a board where you have already uploaded attachments. If you've done any sort of testing on the demo board and you have already uploaded attachments, created posts, added users, uploaded media, etc. then these duplicate entry errors will happen with the retain IDs option. If you're going with the retain IDs option you would need to be performing the import on a completely empty board.

You will have been prompted for the archived import log table to be created after finishing the forum import (if you finished it properly). By default it would be named archived_import log unless you gave it a different name.

I dont think it failed completely, I did it only once but think I ended up skipping it.
yes that makes sense about the "retain id's"

just got this error though whilst importing PP

file_exists(): open_basedir restriction in effect. File(/usr/www/users/******/photopost/data//524/344904.jpg) is not within the allowed path(s): (/tmp:/home/xfdemo/www/:/usr/bin/php)

1. XenForo_Application::handlePhpError()
  2. file_exists() in XenGallery/Importer/PhotopostVb.php at line 647
  3. XenGallery_Importer_PhotopostVb->_importMedia() in XenGallery/Importer/PhotopostVb.php at line 620
  4. XenGallery_Importer_PhotopostVb->stepMedia() in XenForo/Importer/Abstract.php at line 97
  5. XenForo_Importer_Abstract->runStep() in XenForo/ControllerAdmin/Import.php at line 187
  6. XenForo_ControllerAdmin_Import->_runStep() in XenForo/ControllerAdmin/Import.php at line 239
  7. XenForo_ControllerAdmin_Import->_startStep() in XenForo/ControllerAdmin/Import.php at line 182
  8. XenForo_ControllerAdmin_Import->actionStartStep() in XenForo/FrontController.php at line 347
  9. XenForo_FrontController->dispatch() in XenForo/FrontController.php at line 134
  10. XenForo_FrontController->run() in /home/xfdemo/www/150/admin.php at line 13

thank you

Well, this is somewhat expected. We actually don't officially support importing into the demo system.

The demo system isn't designed to handle importing from a properly external source. Obviously under normal conditions, you will be importing from data and files which are stored locally.

As it happens, your Gallery files aren't on our server, so without this error, it wouldn't be able to find them anyway.

Yes, that's correct.

If you purchase XenForo, you will be able to install it on your server and test it as much as you need to, including the import process. If there are any problems, then we will of course be on hand to help you solve those problems. You would just need to create a ticket or post on the forum. If there was anything we can't fix, then obviously we would sort something out, but I'm certain it will be fine :)

Just one more question and I promise I will leave you alone :(
When I imported my VB forums the first forum was showing as a link to all the sub forums. What I want to achieve is exactly how you have them here.

So looking at the image the first forum titled "The Mess" is actually a category and not a forum, and I want it to reside in the coloured bar above like on your forum page

Untitled-1.jpg

Any ideas

It should be there by default. Admin CP > Applications > Gallery Fields > Caption

You need to make it usable for all of the categories where you want it usable and allow it to be used in albums if desired.

Then when you edit a media item you can add whatever text you like to the caption field.

Also when adding media it will appear if you click on "Expand".

Top Bottom