mod installation help

Gabby

Hello ,
I don't know why but I'm having trouble installing my mods. I haven't installed one correctly yet. I'm using FZ for file transfer but I guess I'm not putting things in the correct places.

I'm having a hard time understand file structures of XF mods. They all seem to be a little different in some way.

Under styles some have a "dark" file, some don't.
Do I install the mods library inside the main library so that it reads/library/moodlibrary/.....
Some come with an index.php in the JS file, some don't.

Can someone post a screenshot of their file system so I can take a look at things? That would be real helpful.

The moods I'm trying to install are.

Mood
Library
Enhanced "like" system (Paid)
Template Modification
and a few others.

Thank you again,

Gabby

Hi Gabby...

If you've uploaded the library folder on your computer to the library folder on your web server then you will have created the following structure:-
/library/library

It should not be two levels deep.

What you really need to do is to upload the contents of the upload folder to your forum root - this is the folder that contains the library folder.

Hope this helps!

you did also import the XML? Manage add-ons -> install add on ??

When you say not working correctly, can you be more specific? Maybe an error message such as 'Sorry, xenForo has detected you are an airhead, you have been demoted to the banned user group' :D

ha ha... Boy do I have a reply:) But I'm afraid of Slavik. LOL
Yes the XML installs fine. I can see the mood mod in my ACP but doesn't upload the mood icons in the ACP or adds them to my forum.

You know Gabby, if you're willing I'm sure a trusted member of the xenforo community would be willing to help you out and install them for you. People are rather generous here, I would help you however I'm at work currently, or I can later. But... knowing this community you could probly get someone setup with a temp FTP account, and it would be done less than an hour ;p.

Thanks Russ.. I know this is a great community with great men and women to help but I'm just trying to learn this stuff myself. This part doesn't seem very difficult and I've shelled out a ton of money paying people to do this with other forums-until I got better at it. So I'm trying to avoid bothering people for one thing and paying for something I should be able to do myself. For some reason, I have a stupid mental block with this. My career takes extensive concentration or lives gets lost so I'm seriously not an airhead except when it comes to this.

Plus I'm a little leary of asking people to help me on the board due to a bad experience with a pyscho from another forum software company who offered his services and ended up being a total nutjob.

You just need to find the directory containing a "library" directoryin the downloaded addon archive
unzipped.webp
and upload it to your forum directory
up.webp

mm. you're on a roll today. LOL
rag.. Thank you for your reply. I've done that multiple time and nada, some problems.

Well I have to go kick some legal ars, be back soon and hopefully figure out my brain malfunction. LOL

I still say the instructions for many of these could be improved!
:)
I've written owners manuals for boiler and other equipment - it's important to have no possibility (or less) of it being installed wrongly. Since there can be multiple directories called library, scripts, js, styles, etc. this is especially important!

I think many developers are assuming some experience (and more) on the part of the installers. It's better to write them as if you were instructing your mom to do it (this excludes moms who are programmers).....

I'd be glad to write a set up if someone wants me to....for a specific add-on.

Thanks Russ.. I know this is a great community with great men and women to help but I'm just trying to learn this stuff myself. This part doesn't seem very difficult and I've shelled out a ton of money paying people to do this with other forums-until I got better at it. So I'm trying to avoid bothering people for one thing and paying for something I should be able to do myself. For some reason, I have a stupid mental block with this. My career takes extensive concentration or lives gets lost so I'm seriously not an airhead except when it comes to this.

That is the way to go in my opinion. Like that saying goes, give a man a fish and he will have to eat for the day. But teach a man to fish and he will never go hungry, or something similiar. Well, in your case a woman.

Can you pick up a mod that you want to install and outline all the steps you take starting from the very begin?

Plus I'm a little leary of asking people to help me on the board due to a bad experience with a pyscho from another forum software company who offered his services and ended up being a total nutjob.

Remember, always make a backup of your db before you give access to someone to work on your forum.

Thank you everyone. Now I'm really ticked off. I've done everything and nothing is working. Urgg. I'm sorry but I don't think it's me. -some mods have simple file branchs, same have extenstive sh**T. I've tried every combination of installation and nada. Did I install my forum correctly?

Thank you everyone. Now I'm really ticked off. I've done everything and nothing is working. Urgg. I'm sorry but I don't think it's me. -some mods have simple file branchs, same have extenstive sh**T. I've tried every combination of installation and nada. Did I install my forum correctly?

What exactly isn't working, can you install the plugin using the XML file?

Yes XML install went fine. No images are showing up either in the ACP or forum. I've manually edited all templates properly. I've uninstalled and re-installed this mod a dozen times using all the help in this thread and still the same thing. No images anywhere. I can see the "mood" in my option, I can change the options, but again, no mood icons are showing even if I manually add them and of course they aren't showing in the forum.

I have also previously install the TMS mod as instructed thinking this would help with the first install. It didn't. So thinking there was some conflict there, I deleted the TMS, now working without it and like I said above, did all the manual template changes-still nothing.

Can someone send me a Rum and Coke asap! :eek:

I feel like a total fool. :cry:

Top Bottom