mod inline thread title edit

island

As mod, I'd like to have a quick inline thread title edit.

It would be handy to have a quick way to correct minor typos, extra punctuation, etc. without having to take the time do do a full edit.

Upvote 1
Thanks once again Brogan. (I did not notice the edit link there.) It works much faster than the full edit.

I would still like it one step better if I could simply double click on the title, edit, and then click anywhere on the page to have it update as it's a little bit less "mousing" to get to the buttons (and long titles don't all show in the edit box which means more scrolling), but it's plenty workable too.

I believe double click is not something that Kier or Mike like to use as it's not intuitive to the end user.

At least with an Edit link it's obvious what it's for.

I guess I'm showing my colors as someone who has been using windows for(ever). Kids... they won't even know we had to double click everything back in the day ;)

I guess my main objection now is that I have to move my mouse and "find the button" over on the right. I don't like a lot of extra mouse hunting if I don't need to, but I can "fix that" for myself by moving the edit link over to the right of the title and the save button right next to the entry blank as close as possible to where my mouse will be anyway. It will then be pretty close to the "quick" clicking in my second favorite forum software. My other objection is that I don't like long titles cut off, so I'll simply make the edit blank longer to "fix that" (well, at least "fix" in my eyes.)

The title edit field brings up another question in my mind in that it would be cool if you could edit in place so as not to hit edit and then have to find your place... in the main post edit too, when you click edit you get a really nice looking popup with the edit window, but it's a narrower width than the actual post you're reading so all the lines break at different points and you have to find where you wanted to fix that typo since it's all flowed differently.

I suppose you could add an edit link to each post.

The thread edit uses the standard overlay, which is why it is narrower than the content.

That too can be increased in width but it will apply to all overlays.

We should get rid of this link imo... It's like an evil link staring at me all the time. :)

For sake of aesthetics, trigger it with a double-click on the thread so I don't have to see it ever again. hehe (but really) :)

Personally I prefer to have edit there, I don't like to edit threads via double click myself.
I do agree that this could perhaps be a hover thingy, so it's not there all the time, but it's there when you want it.

Well truth be told (heh), I need that screen real estate for something much more interesting/important. :)

Hopefully it's not too difficult to switch it to a double click for my site...

One thing I've spotted that start becoming a little annoying. If you activate the Inline Editor and click edit in a post, it launches that quick edit box as expected. But you then have to go from that to full edit box each time if wanting to use Full Editor. Why is there no secondary link in threads (when the Inline Editor is activated) to choose between either using that or full editor mode with one click. Every time you have to launch inline edit first, then move from that to full edit mode.

I'm well aware you can disable Inline Editor and just use Full Editor all the time, but when Inline Editor is activated, really you should be able to use either with one click from threads (take your pick, full or inline)

Anyway, I have another suggestion. Which was really why I came here after thinking about it last night.

There's been talk about using various ways of making it more obvious when you use Moderating New Members option, like showing a counter on the main forum homepage in the header next to the other counters. But here is another, what about the option of sending Admin email when new members register, or are awaiting moderation?

Sorry, I thought this thread was about suggestions - not one topic. My bad! (n)

Top Bottom