Implemented Mobile Style

hcmagix

Is there planing xF for Browsers in mobile Devices like IPB?

My dream is xF recognizes the the resolution of the client browser are under fe 600*400 and change automatically in a special Style for mobile device browsers like iphon, ipad, RIM etc.

When the user back on pc the normal style should be loaded.

Upvote 6
This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
I just tried posting, and especially editing some posts today overhere on my iPhone and I can't say it was much of a pleasure :(. I hope we can see a dedicated mobile style soon.
Yep... viewing on my ipad is awesome out of the box... iphone, any phone, useless right now.

This current method of saving the last style and having to constantly switch when viewing between mobile and PC is useless.
The software is currently optimised for the desktop. It's usable on a mobile platform, but not ideal. As I've said before, considerations for the mobile platform are being made all the time, but the biggest consideration - a mobile skin with automatic switching - is not present... yet.

Watching what is developing here Kier... I have no doubt you guys will come up with something pretty outstanding to go with the rest of the software.

I'm really impressed with jquery mobile so far, working on an alt skin for my wordpress front end using it. It really makes it easy to do.

When you look at how many different apps you need to build to cover the same bases as jQuery mobile, AND how much the maintenance and approval costs in both time and money?

It's a no-brainer IMO. Obviously YMMV though ;)

+1

in 5 years, it won't be an issue...there will be a close to saturation point of smartphones...but there are still PLENTY of people who have "web browsing" (think boost/metropcs) but not really a web browser.

Mobile optimized websites are necessary for the next few years to be effective for the MANY people who use sites like facebook from thier phone.

This is on the radar for xf sadly they wont tell us when they are going to work on it or what version they are adding it in when i asked a few weeks ago.

my members are already asking for a mobile style. i run a tech enthusiast forum and many of my members use their phones to access it.

Doesn't Tapatalk already support XenForo?

Says so at www.tapatalk.com.

It's helpful to us, since we're using that with vBulletin, and it'll make the migration easier for our members.
Tapatalk and Forum Runner doesn't support every feature of XenForo, and with new features you'd have a longer wait than if there was a official XenForo mobile style.

It would also be able to be customized by the admin themselves.

Old thread I know, but just thought I'd mention that I've had quite good success using this touch-optimised version of Google Reader on my clunky N900.

http://www.google.com/reader/i/

I'm not exactly sure what this Reader interface is called - it's not "lite" or "mobile", I can't find a link to it on their website anymore and I don't remember how I originally came across it.

But it works quite well and I think is a good example of a mobile enabled version of a fairly complex application.

Top Bottom