Implemented Mobile Style

hcmagix

Is there planing xF for Browsers in mobile Devices like IPB?

My dream is xF recognizes the the resolution of the client browser are under fe 600*400 and change automatically in a special Style for mobile device browsers like iphon, ipad, RIM etc.

When the user back on pc the normal style should be loaded.

Upvote 6
This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
This is a pretty sound idea as long as there is an option to set mobile version disabled or per user choice.
If Kier makes xenforo auto jump to the mobile version of xenforo out of the box Im going to ****
as far as this... I saw four asterisks and until I got to the explanation I was thinking you needed a fresh pair :p

I really think if a mobile skin is added, it should just be an mobile optimized version of the default browser skin.
QFE. Making it no more than an archive we can reply to would be a fail. If you want to see an AWFUL implementation of a mobile browser, try http://modmyi.com/. You can't disable it, you can't edit your own posts. It's crippled beyond belief.

Data speeds on cell phones are going up, and phones are getting better. The mobile skin should be just a little bit better. Emphasize the posts more, scale down the avatars, Already XenForo is much more screen space efficient than vB but more info can be hidden. And remember, "hover" menus don't generally work on a touch device.

It's funny, the title of this thread is "WAP..." but nobody has asked for actual WAP (thank God cause it's a dinosaur).

There is a lot of gadgets that people use to surf the net and most of them are mobile phones or pda's. So mobile version of xenForo will be very useful.

xenforo adjusts when you resize your browser on the desktop so if it can be done on mobile using a default simple view (others can modify to their liking) when v1.0 is released, there's no doubt it'll be very popular and frequently used. Many more people are on the go these days and not being able to view a forum in an user friendly way is painful.

I always try to view and post to xenforo on the go but can't. Waiting to get to a desktop frustrates me.

Make use of the jQuery Mobile framework.
Utilise nice javascript like IPB does in theirs.
:p pretty sure they'd use the mobile framework for a mobile skin, even though it is still development only (I think?)

I would prefer less AJAX, or AJAX that is made more for minimizing page load for actions.

:p pretty sure they'd use the mobile framework for a mobile skin, even though it is still development only (I think?)

I would prefer less AJAX, or AJAX that is made more for minimizing page load for actions.

Yep, its still in dev. IPB uses AJAX for complete [page load/view ] pagination, or submitting posts.

I would suggest keeping as much usability as possible.
I've come across websites with mobile skins with so much less usability it was worth waiting till I got home.

Nice clean layout(Doubt this will be a problem), and as much usability as performance will allow(Again, doubt this will be a challenge).

I would suggest keeping as much usability as possible.
I've come across websites with mobile skins with so much less usability it was worth waiting till I got home.

Nice clean layout(Doubt this will be a problem), and as much usability as performance will allow(Again, doubt this will be a challenge).
The basic layout (here) is fairly usable so chances are there won't be an issue with either of those points.

The basic layout (here) is fairly usable so chances are there won't be an issue with either of those points.

This is true. I was looking through the site earlier using my Droid and encountered no problems except one. I seemed to experience some problems when trying to change pages on threads.

I would be coming from IPB myself and I have to say I do find myself liking their mobile site a lot. I can easily jump on and sign in, post, moderate as needed, it's clean and full of function.

My suggestion for xF's mobile style would be to pull what works well from theirs and make it better. Under my older vB site I could monitor what was going on on the site, but if I needed to do anything as a staff member, I had to go find a PC because of the time it would take to get anything done.

Going on what you have here for the main site, keep the mobile site clean, crisp and very usable.

Jamie

I've always been impressed by the mobile version of HDUK (http://m.hotukdeals.com/)

That kind of layout works really nicely on a mobile, simple large text and next/previous buttons. I think the majority of what it'd take would just be the style design rather than needing any fundamental changes to the forum structure, etc.

I just tried posting, and especially editing some posts today overhere on my iPhone and I can't say it was much of a pleasure
frown.png
. I hope we can see a dedicated mobile style soon.

• Be quite pleased
  • Dance naked in the street
This software should do exactly that... when viewed by a mobile device, it should automatically fetch the mobile style, and when viewed by normal browser, automatically fetch the normal style last associated to the user.

This current method of saving the last style and having to constantly switch when viewing between mobile and PC is useless. I don't ever want to come onto the site via my PC and see a mobile style looking me in the face as my last chosen style because I was on the road viewing the forum on my iphone, which is what currently happens... so I ditched the mobile style altogether until it seriously improves.

Top Bottom