Missing Header Moderation Tools?

FredC

Seems the Moderation Que and Reported Items Vanished after i upgraded to Beta6 Any ideas? I checked the obvious culprits (permissions) already.
Capture_01132011_134525.webp

See this thread :)

http://xenforo.com/community/thread...es-them-access-to-the-moderator-toolbar.7956/

I raised a bug report about it as Administrators shouldn't have access to mod tools unless they are also moderators.
I raised a concern about this when I was a moderator, and I'll do it again now.

Saying that an admin shouldn't have mod privileges is just stupid, imo. (Sorry but you know I'm blunt).
Why wouldn't an admin also have mod privileges? This makes no sense to me whatsoever.
I mean it certainly can't be a matter of trust, because if you're going to trust someone to be an admin, then they should surely be trusted with mod privileges.
Just about anyone who makes you an admin is going to give you mod privileges anyway.
So WTH?? :confused:

It's nothing to do with trust.

Just because someone has access to the ACP, it doesn't necessarily mean they should have access to reported posts, etc.

Administrator permissions can be limited to things such as nodes, styles, upgrading, etc. which have absolutely nothing to do with moderating a forum.

Just about anyone who makes you an admin is going to give you mod privileges anyway.
I have users on my forum who have access to the ACP but who aren't moderators.

You, maybe. But any forum I've ever been an admin on, and there have been many, I've also had mod privileges.
And anyone I've ever asked to be an admin, also had mod privileges.

BTW giving someone access to your acp does not make them an admin. By definition (at least in the forum world, for as long as I've been in it), an admin has access to the entire site.

It's nothing to do with trust.

Just because someone has access to the ACP, it doesn't necessarily mean they should have access to reported posts, etc.

Administrator permissions can be limited to things such as nodes, styles, upgrading, etc. which have absolutely nothing to do with moderating a forum.

I have users on my forum who have access to the ACP but who aren't moderators.

Not every forums have same conditions :(

I'm struggling to see what the issue is.
The bug fix has made things more flexible, not less.

You can now make members administrators, moderators or both.

I'm confused. What am I missing here or what is missing? I've only set myself as an admin and never applied moderator permissions so I'm struggling what do admins not see that moderators do?

I'm confused. What am I missing here or what is missing? I've only set myself as an admin and never applied moderator permissions so I'm struggling what do admins not see that moderators do?

Moderation Queue: 0 Reported Items: 0

Those Option on top left side of page .

And if you apply moderator permissions to the person who's admin they can see it correct?

Well before it wasn't necessary now you need to add admins as Moderators in order to give them access over those functions it's not a big deal still discussion here was why Admins shouldn't have those Permission by default .

Well before it wasn't necessary now you need to add admins as Moderators in order to give them access over those functions it's not a big deal still discussion here was why Admins shouldn't have those Permission by default .

I personally don't see what the problem is then. If you've got the choice to allow moderator permissions to a specific admin (bare in mind not all admins are gifted to handle problematic issues, technical issues etc) then I think this is a good thing being able to assign moderator permissions to a specific person who's an admin at your forum.

As brogan said, it's more flexible which I 100% agree with him on.

edit: I love this inline editing.

And if you apply moderator permissions to the person who's admin they can see it correct?

I'm struggling to see what the issue is.
The bug fix has made things more flexible, not less.
You can now make members administrators, moderators or both.

The issue is that you should not have to give an admin moderator privileges. They should have them already.
That is my issue. Always has been, as you well know. :)

The issue is that you should not have to give an admin moderator privileges. They should have them already.
That is my issue. Always has been, as you well know. :)

As stated above not all administrators are suitable to handle every task. I think this is a mindset people see an admin role being, handling everything when it's not and so far from the truth. The fact that you can assign moderator permissions to that admin, on a per admin basis, to me, is a damn good thing in my books giving you/others the choice to set those permissions on a per admin basis.

Take me for example, the last person you want handling issues/reports. I'm not suited for that role to handle those tasks. but give me permissions to other areas (that are more technically suited) and I'm happy. Admins serve different roles just like moderators/staff have their required roles/tasks to undertake and for me Kier and mike did the correct thing here in allowing owners to choose what specific privileges that specific admin has. Another instance of forward thinking.

The more I think about this the more benefits I think this setup has. It was a good move imo by Mike and kier.

I have a qustion about the Moderator tools. We seem to have given moderators the appropriate privileges, but they don't see any moderation tools (delete, edit, IP, etc). What am I doing wrong??

2 things to check.

Have you explicitly made them moderators?
Check the permissions, all groups they are members of, especially for any Deny settings.

I have to agree with Peggy here, as far as I'm concerned (I'm not having having a dig at Shelley here either) is that if someone isn't 'fit' to deal with reported/moderated posts then should they even be an administrator??? I'm struggling to see why administrators having access to mod tools was even raised as a bug tbh, and the current way of having to make an administrator a moderator also is counter-intuitive IMO.

Perhaps make an option in the ACP to turn this feature on/off?

Top Bottom