XF 1.2 Migrating to a new server

jayramfootball

Ok so I am moving from my current server to a cloud based server set up via vidahosts.

I have followed the instructions as best as possible on some of the guides here - I have a tar of my entire server files from the current/old server and I have a back up of my database.

Am I right in thinking I do NOT need to install Xenforo on the new server - I just need to copy the files over?

What I am stuck with is exactly where to load the server files to - the root directory (.ie. / ) of to the public_html directory?

Am I right in thinking I do NOT need to install Xenforo on the new server - I just need to copy the files over?
Correct.
Just copy the files and database to the new server.

What I am stuck with is exactly where to load the server files to - the root directory (.ie. / ) of to the public_html directory?
It depends how your server is configured and where you want the installation.
Typically it would be in the domain root/www or a subdirectory.

Correct.
Just copy the files and database to the new server.

It depends how your server is configured and where you want the installation.
Typically it would be in the domain root/www or a subdirectory.

I think I am confusing myself here - i copied literally everything from my current server (not just the www folder) and got stuck on where everything went. I assume the complete Xenforo installation will be in the current www/public_html location.

At least I have made a start, lol...EVERYTHING from old server is now on new server and unzipped... now for the hard part!

if anyone else needs to follow this in the future then as an update I just managed to get my database loaded to the new server.

Two things I had to do
1) add my IP address to an 'allowed list'/remote IP option to get through firewalls (you might need to do this with yours if you are getting access errors/denials)
2) instead of localhost use the IP of the database you are trying to write toin the mysql ssh statement

mysql -hxx.xx.xx.xx -uUSERNAME -pPASSWORD DBNAME < /PATH/TO/backup.sql

This is in the instructions for this process elsewhere on this forum but being a complete novice I get confused with all the different IP's so to confirm it is the IP address of the database you are trying to write to.

It would appear that everything has worked apart from user authentication. No passwords work for any user.
Is there a separate file outside of the main xenforo folder that needs to be migrated for this?

It would appear that everything has worked apart from user authentication. No passwords work for any user.
Is there a separate file outside of the main xenforo folder that needs to be migrated for this?
And all you have done is move to a new server? Can't see why that would cause an issue with user passwords, as they are all stored in the database.

And all you have done is move to a new server? Can't see why that would cause an issue with user passwords, as they are all stored in the database.

Thats what I thought - no passwords working at all. Now it MIGHT be because I have not yet moved my nameservers and am only using a test instance of the site... but seems strange even then. I don't want to move everything over if all my users passwords fail.

What table are the passwords in?... i can check whats in there...

Use the method I pointed out above, I have never had a fail yet by using that script for database transfers...

PS: You have changed the config.php from the old server to reflect the new server..?

Use the method I pointed out above, I have never had a fail yet by using that script for database transfers...

PS: You have changed the config.php from the old server to reflect the new server..?

Been through it and the other processes suggested. Same result. All working except passwords.
I have asked my host to look into it, but suspect I will have to go back to original host on slower set up.

Been through it and the other processes suggested. Same result. All working except passwords.
I have asked my host to look into it, but suspect I will have to go back to original host on slower set up.
You said you have it set up on a "test instance" of the site. I'm assuming you've made a FQDN for a sub-domain of arsenaltalk.net (something like testbed), changed your ACP settings to reflect the new subdomain you have it being served on and then set up a virtual host in your web server for it?
I've moved DB's back and forth between 3 dedicated servers and 1 VPS and it's a simple matter of using mysqldumper (just because it was there) to dump the database then copy it over to the new server and import it using mysql -p -u username database_name < file.sql after creating the new (empty) DB.

Well I really dont know what more to say apart from I have used MySQLDumper for at least 5 yrs now probs longer..
Used it on just about every popular forum script there is out there and it has never failed to transfer everything back into place, unlike Tracy above I let MySQLDumper do the import as well and I dont use command line , let MySQLDumper do it all...

Regards..

You said you have it set up on a "test instance" of the site. I'm assuming you've made a FQDN for a sub-domain of arsenaltalk.net (something like testbed), changed your ACP settings to reflect the new subdomain you have it being served on and then set up a virtual host in your web server for it?
I've moved DB's back and forth between 3 dedicated servers and 1 VPS and it's a simple matter of using mysqldumper (just because it was there) to dump the database then copy it over to the new server and import it using mysql -p -u username database_name < file.sql after creating the new (empty) DB.

The host creates a preview on a sub domain (prior to moving the nameservers over). I cant change anything in the ACP because I cant log in.

Top Bottom