XF 1.2 Migrating to a new server

jayramfootball

Ok so I am moving from my current server to a cloud based server set up via vidahosts.

I have followed the instructions as best as possible on some of the guides here - I have a tar of my entire server files from the current/old server and I have a back up of my database.

Am I right in thinking I do NOT need to install Xenforo on the new server - I just need to copy the files over?

What I am stuck with is exactly where to load the server files to - the root directory (.ie. / ) of to the public_html directory?

Still not able to get this to work... very strange indeed... the admin log in is not working and many of the member log ins are also not working, but some are!
I used the sqldumper to save and load the database. Is it possible that it corrupted the data?

Coudl someone please tell me where to find the password details in the database... looked but cannot find them in the user databases.

This experience has taught me that migrating is NOT a good idea!:confused:

Last edited:
Would you be able to try re-exporting the database from the old server using mysqldump from the command line?

@MattW , not sure of the commands for that. I originally exported the database using SSH and then imported using SSH too just to test it worked.

I used the SQLDUMPER software when I migrated to get the very latest version of the database.

The database is there on the new server - in fact checking it the tables look identical, but having the issue that some passwords work and other dont. I have not been able to test the migrated site fully as the darn DNS propagation is still taking place...

I was looking again in the database this morning for the passwords field in the database.... can not find it anywhere? Do you know what table the passwords are stored in?

cheers for your responses.

Maybe if you PM KAM or Jake Bunce they will be able to shed light on where the passwords are stored...

I dont think they are stored as passwords - I think it is an algorithm....

There is another thread started by another member I just saw - has exactly the same issues, cant log in after migration... and the problem has been seen by yet another member who responded to that thread, so this appears to be a deeper issue with xenforo migrations

How large is the database? I'm just wondering if it's corrupted or something? I've moved sites around numerous times by dumping the database, and not had an issue with the passwords.

Top Bottom