Migrating from VB4.2.1 to XF

Parafal

Hello,

I think I am on the same boat of many VB users. I started with them in 2008 and now I am thinking of moving. My VB has a bug that the support doesn't care to help.

So let's start with a couple of questions:

1- I tried to use your demo, but I couldn't use it. The demo is extremely slow. Is this normal? I hope not. :)

2- My Forum uses Brazilian-Portuguese language (pt-br) is there a translation in this language for Xenforo?

3- I use the CMS from VB. With the migration to XF all the information on my VB CMS will be lost?

4- Is XF compatible with Adsense program? or I need to use an add-on?

For now that's it.

I really hope that I will have a great experience using XF. Not only with the product itself but also with the support. ;)

I have just set a demo up and it seems fine to me.
Perhaps there are some problems with your network connection?

You can check for third party language packs here: http://xenforo.com/community/resources/categories/translations.31/

There is no CMS in XenForo so none of that content would come across in the official importer.
I can't speak for third party importers and how they deal with it.

Yes, there are built in ad templates.

Thank you for the reply.

I tried two more times and the demo is not loading. I tested my connection and everything is fine.

I'll try again in a couple of hours.

Another question: what is the time cycle of new updates releases? Just an average would be fine.

Thank you for the reply.

I tried two more times and the demo is not loading. I tested my connection and everything is fine.

I'll try again in a couple of hours.

Another question: what is the time cycle of new updates releases? Just an average would be fine.
Something to consider about xF new update releases... They work.

I had VB 5.05 and each update for VB 5 that I had installed simply made things worse. My xF forum has been operating for about a month now, and there has been one update released that I installed. The updates are easy and quick.

The xF Community is a wonderful group of people and extremely helpful.

Questions I asked, have generally been answered within several hours if not sooner.

Something to consider about xF new update releases... They work.

I had VB 5.05 and each update for VB 5 that I had installed simply made things worse. My xF forum has been operating for about a month now, and there has been one update released that I installed. The updates are easy and quick.

The xF Community is a wonderful group of people and extremely helpful.

Questions I asked, have generally been answered within several hours if not sooner.

I didn't try VB5 after I read all the bad reviews. I stopped at the 4.0.1 for a long time and in December 2013 I decided to upgrade to 4.2.1... bad decision.

Anyways, I'm glad to read your feedback. Thanks.

Another question: is there a similar add-on for XF that simulates Itrader for VB?

Thank you Optima.

I will use all the information posted in this thread when I do my migration. Yes, I am really thinking about getting XF this weekend. :)

Due to the use of CMS and add ons I have on my VB4.2.1, is there a special path that I need to follow?

For example:

- First I need to install XF on my VPS.

- Second, I need to import my VB4.2.1 database to XF.

- Third, I need to import the database from my CMS using the scripts mentioned by Optima.

- Fourth, I need to import, for example, the database from my Itrader or any other add ons that is compatible with XF.

Am I right if I follow those steps?

If there is a tutorial in how to import the VB4 + CMS + add ons could someone post the link?

Can't wait to have XF running! ;)

Just a quick question.

I have many "not permanentely deleted" post on my VB. They are like hidden from the members and only available to de admin and moderation. When I'll migrate to XF, these post will be hidden? Deleted? Or available again for my members?

I have many "not permanentely deleted" post on my VB. They are like hidden from the members and only available to de admin and moderation. When I'll migrate to XF, these post will be hidden? Deleted? Or available again for my members?
XenForo has that feature as well, so posts and threads will remain soft deleted. You can restore them or hard delete at any time later if you want to.

My VPS is using php 5.3 because VB4 need to be using this php version.

I want to test Xenforo in the same VPS.

Is there a problem if I run XF with php 5.3?

What if, when I finalize my migration and retire my VB, I upgrade my VPS to php to 5.4? is that fine?

I finally got my copy of XF today! :D

I already installed the forum and now I need to import my SQL from my old VB4.2.1.

Which importer should I use?

Now that I am using XF1.3.1 Can I use the old importers found on the resources page?

Can't wait to have my entire forum running on XF. ;)

Edited: done using XF 1.3.1 importer. :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom