Migrating from IPB 3.x to Xenforo 2.x

f10w

Hello,

I am planning to migrate my forum from IPB 3.x to the latest version of Xenforo. Since there's no official guide on how to do this, I would like to ask for your confirmation before proceeding with the payment.

From what I have read on this forum, the standard process seems to consist of two steps:
  1. Convert IPB 3.x to XF 1.5.
  2. Upgrade XF 1.5 to 2.2.
Is that correct?

I would like to perform the migration locally (on localhost) before uploading the new forum. Are there any technical details that I should keep in mind?

Thank you in advance for your answers!

Note: XF will import the username data and not the display name data so you users will end up with the login name on their posts. I am prepping an import as well and I plan to copy the data from one table to the other.

Note: XF will import the username data and not the display name data so you users will end up with the login name on their posts. I am prepping an import as well and I plan to copy the data from one table to the other.
Thanks for the information. Could you please share your workaround later if it works?

Yes if importing from IPS3.

If you can upgrade to IPS4 then you can import directly to XF2.

Not really.
Localhost is essentially no different to any other host.
Great. Thank you! My IPS license has expired for a long time so it is no longer possible to upgrade to IPS4. I guess I can get XF 1.5 as well when buying XF 2?

I would like to ask one last question to those who have experience in both IPS and Xenforo. Some time ago I heard from an IPS (custom mod) developer that Xenforo is less secure than IPS because of it being more popular (this doesn't mean that IPS is better developed in terms of security, but just that Xenforo hackers are more skilled at the task). I would love to hear your opinion on this. And by the way, is there an up-to-date security checklist that I should follow?

Thank you so much in advance!

Thanks for the information. Could you please share your workaround later if it works?
You may get to it before me but brogan suggested the following:

Top Bottom