1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XF 1.5 Migrating a xenforo installation into another?

Discussion in 'XenForo Questions and Support' started by DarkGizmo, Sep 27, 2016.

1. DarkGizmo

DarkGizmo Active Member

If I have 2 forums

Forum A with content on it and Forum B which is newly installed and I want to migrate/copy the content from Forum A into Forum B but keep Forum A in tact as-is and not lose anything or break anything so Forum A can continue to move forward with new content while Forum B gets a copy of the content from the 'migration' is that possible to do or does the import process completely wipe out Forum A?

Please advise. :)

I have a section on Forum A I want to move over to Forum B with posts in it but only keep the data from that section on Forum B and remove it from Forum A (manually obviously) while keeping both forums in tact. :)

2. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

You can use the built in XF importer - the source database will be unaffected.

All content will be imported though - you can't selectively choose which nodes/members/threads to import.
    You will either have to prune the content from the source database (from a backup/copy if you don't want to affect the existing installation) prior to importing, or delete the content after it has been imported.

3. DarkGizmo

DarkGizmo Active Member

Okay that's fine. :D Thanks Brogan, that's what I needed to know. :)

Also, how do I find the path to the data directory? :)

Last edited: Sep 27, 2016
  4. DarkGizmo

DarkGizmo Active Member

Got it all sorted out! Thanks @Brogan for the input. :)

5. EricBecking

EricBecking New Member

Does this also work if you go from an older version of xenforo to a newer version of xenforo?

6. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

The XF->XF importer should workfor XF versions 1.2+.