XF 1.4 How to keep a maintenance notice while importing to xenforo installation

Mr Lucky

If my vbulletin forum is at domain.com/forums and I want to migrate that to XenForo, I realise the forum will need to be closed before the import.

So do I then delete the vbulletin files/folders and upload xenfororo then import?

If so visitors will obviously not see any kind of maintenance notice while uploading/installing/importing.

Is there a way round this? e.g. can I leave that vbulletin forum in place, install xenforo in a subdirectory and import and then delet the vbulletin files and move the xenforo into the correct location?

You could, depending on how the web server is configured, probably just put an index.html file in the root of the directory. That should load instead of index.php until you remove/rename it.

You could do what I did when I imported from phpBB to XenForo - put a simple HTML page in your root and ensure that visitors land on that page whilst the import takes place. Once it's complete you can remove it and set it so that visitors land on the new XenForo site.

You could do what I did when I imported from phpBB to XenForo - put a simple HTML page in your root and ensure that visitors land on that page whilst the import takes place. Once it's complete you can remove it and set it so that visitors land on the new XenForo site.

Sounds good, but to ensure visitors land on that page you need a redirect, and surely any redirect that goes to that page would be stopping you from being on the import page.

No, as you can simply type in the URL for the import page yourself.
Yes, but I don't understand what sort of redirect could redirect all pages except the import page.

Plus you would then want to test before opening so the redirect would stop you going to various different pages, threads etc. to test.

Or am I missing something (as is often the case)

I think you're overcomplicating things. The import will only take a few hours depending on the size of your site, I don't see a need to set up redirections for all pages, just the main forum page.

Top Bottom