XF 1.2 Merging can only be done by hand

florencia

The custom template is out of date but has been edited more recently than the parent. Merging can only be done by hand.

what do I need to do to merge by hand? I'm not a code expert. There isn't any addon for this?

Take a backup of your custom (outdated templates).
Revert the outdated templates.
Add your customisations back to the templates.

the diffnow is very cool mistypants, thank you. I will try to find some info on how to work with extra.css - I just create this file and copy and paste the code I want to change and it will have priority over the other css templates?

good point. I was also confused. I just saved the templates without doing anything and the merge message now its gone. No idea what I did. Its very confusing to do all this manually. You have to be a full time developer to manage Xenforo and the styles, and addons, and upgrades and setting up pages with HTML code. :( I wish it was more like word press, specially the page editor wisiwig.

good point. I was also confused. I just saved the templates without doing anything and the merge message now its gone. No idea what I did. Its very confusing to do all this manually. You have to be a full time developer to manage Xenforo and the styles, and addons, and upgrades and setting up pages with HTML code. :( I wish it was more like word press, specially the page editor wisiwig.
If you used the merge feature, I believe your custom changes would still be there but just merged into the new updated template. If you "reverted" the template only, any custom changes would not be saved.

the problem here is, how do you distinguish templates edits from Xenforo updates, to add ons, from my own edits. Unless I was a computerized robot, how could you possibly know what changes I made a year ago. The system seems very confusing and not very adaptive…

Only edited templates will ever be marked as outdated.
Therefore it will only ever be ones which you have edited.

Unless I was a computerized robot, how could you possibly know what changes I made a year ago.
Have you ever considered being a little more organized and taking notes?
How do you possibly run and maintain a site with no record of changes you have made?

the problem here is, how do you distinguish templates edits from Xenforo updates, to add ons, from my own edits. Unless I was a computerized robot, how could you possibly know what changes I made a year ago. The system seems very confusing and not very adaptive…
You mean, you don't add comments in with any changes you make in templates for ease of tracking and future reference? ;)

*EDIT* Ninja'd by Brogan

I add comments in any templates for changes that I make (in fact I add a comment at the start and a comment at the end to show exactly what the edited code is). In addition I keep a separate record of all template edits, so that if there was a disaster and my site was unrecoverable, I could create them all again when starting from scratch.

You mean, you don't add comments in with any changes you make in templates for ease of tracking and future reference? ;)

*EDIT* Ninja'd by Brogan

I add comments in any templates for changes that I make (in fact I add a comment at the start and a comment at the end to show exactly what the edited code is). In addition I keep a separate record of all template edits, so that if there was a disaster and my site was unrecoverable, I could create them all again when starting from scratch.
Good idea @Martok - that should be in the instructions that came in the box...:rolleyes:

Top Bottom