XF 1.2 Members needing moderator approval to post

Lilie

Hi,
I have two main member groups for regular members, and I've noticed that they need to have all of their posts approved. I have already done everything to make sure that this shouldn't be happening, so I don't know what else to do.
I've made sure "follow moderation rules" is set to no in both the node options and member group options, so I don't know what could be causing this.
It suddenly started doing this, too. Users were posting fine before yesterday.

That's your problem.

Usergroup permissions should have Follow message moderation rules set to Allow.

Node forum options should have Moderate all messages posted in this forum unticked.

The node forum options have it unticked.
Wait a second, doesn't Follow message moderation rules have to be set to no so that way they don't have to have their posts approved?
Oh my gosh, I'll try this and feel positively stupid if it works.

The node forum options have it unticked.
Wait a second, doesn't Follow message moderation rules have to be set to no so that way they don't have to have their posts approved?
Oh my gosh, I'll try this and feel positively stupid if it works.
The phrasing can be a bit confusing.

Follow message moderation rules means that you follow the rules set for a forum. If set to Allow, you follow the rules set, so if they are unticked in the forum it means you're following the rule that there is no moderation.

I have certain individual members I am trying to place in what I call "moderation". I come from mybb so forgive the terminilogy it is all I know. With that software all I had to do was tick a option called "moderate posts" and they could still post, but it just wouldn't be visible until a staff member approved the post. Is there a similar option with XF?

I have certain individual members I am trying to place in what I call "moderation". I come from mybb so forgive the terminilogy it is all I know. With that software all I had to do was tick a option called "moderate posts" and they could still post, but it just wouldn't be visible until a staff member approved the post. Is there a similar option with XF?
Are these new forum members who you want in moderation, or existing members who have been 'naughty'?

Usually it is existing members but on occasion I have members join I recognize from othr communities that I want to start out in moderation, so both actually but mostly it is members that have joined, started posting, and are not complying with my trading rules and I want to give them the benefit of the doubt before giving them the axe.

I still need a solution for this, to be able to place an indivdual into moderation e.g. he can post, but it will not be visible until approved. Is there any such method for this?

You have two ways that you can do this.
  1. Create a secondary group and call it something like "all posts moderated group". For this group, set Follow message moderation rules to Never. Add this as a secondary usergroup for the users you want to put into moderation. I've got a group set up like this for this purpose for any "naughty people" I should ever have. This will mean all posts are moderated everywhere. It cannot be overridden except by removing from this group.
  2. If you just want to restrict for this one user only, then ACP > User permissions > username > Follow message moderation rules to Never. This cannot be overridden by permissions elsewhere.
These are a couple of the very few exceptions where Never can be be used. In most other cases, you should avoid using it.

That worked yoohoo! I noticed that the member does not receive a message "Thank you for your content. Your message is awaiting approval and will appear...." I suppose that's not an option anywhere. Probably an addon request. Glad to finally understand how fmmr works though and to have a solution.

Top Bottom