Member wants me to delete thread.

Alvin63

So a member wants me to delete a whole thread they started months ago. I don't particularly want to. If everyone did that it could mess up the forum. What do you usually do if someone says - I want that thread deleting now?

What do you usually do if someone says - I want that thread deleting now?
No Way Reaction GIF

• Love
Reactions: GW2
Are they asking this via email or on the forum?
if it's on the forum ban them for 3 days for being disruptive.
if it's via email explain to them that they will cop infractions and bans until they learn to shut their mouth.

I wouldnt be banning someone for such a request. First I would review the material to make sure it isn't something personally identifiable or harmful.

I'd politely explain that it wouldn't be fair to others in the discussion to selectively remove things that were replied to (and maybe quoted). The context must remain. Once a post has been up for over 2 hours, the ability for the user to edit or delete it passes. Once it has replies, then it is too late.

I wouldnt be banning someone for such a request
It seems like aussiefooty's immediate response is "ban 'em to hell".... wonder if it may be an after effect of what he has suffered from?

As for the request to delete the thread..... if it's a valid (and popular) topic.. the answer will be no. If the user is "upset"... then they can always have their account deleted and posts not be associated with them (other than quotes and any personal information they may have posted directly). Works well... just refer to user to the rules... and if they want their account deleted.. do so.

Ironically.. I don't know if it's a bug in XF or what (may be add-ons they use)... but I did request the admins over at TAZ to delete my account because I got tired of their kow-towing to script developers in fear....
And my "deleted" account shows this over there. Funny... I can see there being "zero" posts shown.. but a negative number for Reaction Score? :ROFLMAO:
As I said, I'm not sure if it's an add-on issue or default XF behavior... but honestly.. not too worried about it because there are more active admin forums out there and I have no real interest in helping TAZ out.

Screen Shot 2023-06-19 at 5.25.52 AM.png

Last edited:
I wouldnt be banning someone for such a request. First I would review the material to make sure it isn't something personally identifiable or harmful.

I'd politely explain that it wouldn't be fair to others in the discussion to selectively remove things that were replied to (and maybe quoted). The context must remain. Once a post has been up for over 2 hours, the ability for the user to edit or delete it passes. Once it has replies, then it is too late.
It might help for you to read @Alvin63's other thread that is called extremely annoying member.

I have read it. The same approach applies.

My oldest forum is from 1997 with over 11k users and over a million posts. We use a very "laid back" (light handed) approach to moderation, which is well received. The opposite approach will spread negatively like an infection, and turn people away. (perception of a power hungry dictatorship) For the most part, the community is self policing with peer pressure from others. Everyone just behaves :)

It has been years since we had to ban someone, and I think we have probably banned 3-4 members in 26 years. (legitimate cases of hate/gay bashing, seller fraud, etc) There hasnt been a warning issued in over 10 years. If someone gets out of hand otherwise, we privately remind them of our community standards and quote the agreed upon policies to them.

Everyone has their own style, but that is ours.

It might help for you to read @Alvin63's other thread that is called extremely annoying member.
Doesn't mean those members are the same ones...
Seems he may have issues with several of his members... or may be somewhat intolerant of what "normal" behavior is.

Last edited:
Last time i had to take action was a couple of weeks ago.
funny how people love to follow me around and join my forums only to get banned again.
Simple thing is i'm learning from a big board called bigfooty on how to cope with a range of people who wish to join my forum but simply cannot when they have been permabanned by the admins on bigfooty.
It kind of helps.

Reactions: FTL
I agree with the general "no" opinion of the others on here, but as usual, situations can be more nuanced.

Perhaps start a pm thread with them and find out exactly what's bothering them and see if you can come to some mutually beneficial agreement.

It could end up as a flat no, but perhaps they might be happy with a thread closure, deleting of an offensive post from another member etc if their request is reasonable, you get the picture.

I agree with the general "no" opinion of the others on here, but as usual, situations can be more nuanced.

Perhaps start a pm thread with them and find out exactly what's bothering them and see if you can come to some mutually beneficial agreement.

It could end up as a flat no, but perhaps they might be happy with a thread closure, deleting of an offensive post from another member etc if their request is reasonable, you get the picture.
I agree with this.
If you get an email from somebody who's demanding stuff from you all the time tell them no.
If they continue to email you with demands keep telling them no.
If they email you when they are on the site still asking for things to be taken down or removed tell them no and infract them.

The three strikes you cop a ban because all they do is whinge.
It might take a few goes but the point is the guy who is being the pest will stop but then look for more negative stuff and be a pain in the bum.
Tell him to start his own forum.

When they get extreme, I have sometimes used the approach of their account similar to being a guest in someone's home. If a guest is abusive or disruptive to others, they may not be welcomed back to that 'home'. Being there is at the grace/courtesy of the host, not a right. Please be considerate of others, etc.....

Top Bottom