Implemented Member profile field, post count, trophies in post bit

This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
I would have to say it is. Viewing how many posts a user has or their join date is not something an average user would want to see every time. If they are interested in said user then the member card is one click away
That's the truth. It's really not relevant to what they are viewing the thread/post for at all.

I would have to say it is. Viewing how many posts a user has or their join date is not something an average user would want to see every time. If they are interested in said user then the member card is one click away

On my forum, post count and join date are import. Posts are only counted in certain forums and help identify which members have demonstrated that they understand the topic at hand. Join date is also important, especially in classified threads. I also use the post bit to display premium member badges.

That's the truth. It's really not relevant to what they are viewing the thread/post for at all.

In my classified threads it is, as I display a member's iTrader rating . Members can see if the seller has a trader rating, join date and other info to help them decides whether they want to do business with that member.

On my forum, post count and join date are import. Posts are only counted in certain forums and help identify which members have demonstrated that they understand the topic at hand. Join date is also important, especially in classified threads. I also use the post bit to display premium member badges.

In my classified threads it is, as I display a member's iTrader rating . Members can see if the seller has a trader rating, join date and other info to help them decides whether they want to do business with that member.

This is custom to your specific needs though, and judging from the posts in this thread, you're in the minority. The feature is serving the majority or people who don't seem to be changing the way it is any time soon on their installations.

This is custom to your specific needs though, and judging from the posts in this thread, you're in the minority. The feature is serving the majority or people who don't seem to be changing the way it is any time soon on their installations.

Only time will tell. It will be interesting to see if over the next year if XF installations will stick with the current look or "hack" in this functionality.

Only time will tell. It will be interesting to see if over the next year if XF installations will stick with the current look or "hack" in this functionality.
People can hack it in all they want. Even if 99% of customers change it, XenForo still has its design/UI principles to stick to.

Only in this thread. If we were in the minority then users here would not have the little sig picture with their post count, # of likes etc. You also might be surprised on your site how many users would complain if you were to take it away from your current setup. Give it and try and let us know how it works out, I would be very interested to hear.

People can hack it in all they want. Even if 99% of customers change it, XenForo still has its design/UI principles to stick to.

Good to know that you know what xF principles/plans are. Could you let us know what else xF has planned since it seems you are in the know about it?

You also might be surprised on your site how many users would complain if you were to take it away from your current setup. Give it and try and let us know how it works out, I would be very interested to hear.
They certainly wouldn't be as concerned as you seem to be, because we don't gauge a member's "status" or the quality of their posts based on how long they've been a member or how many posts they've made. We also have user ranks (and so does XenForo), so that takes care of that.

And if they did want it back, my answer would be: Open the member card. :)

Good to know that you know what xF principles/plans are. Could you let us know what else xF has planned since it seems you are in the know about it?
It's common sense. Everything they've done here, they've done for a reason. They obviously have an agenda. Why would they do anything that doesn't fit their desired style/feel/UI? :rolleyes:

Only in this thread. If we were in the minority then users here would not have the little sig picture with their post count, # of likes etc. You also might be surprised on your site how many users would complain if you were to take it away from your current setup. Give it and try and let us know how it works out, I would be very interested to hear.

Actually, no, that was because those users were showing off XF's API, which was talked about and sprouted from here: http://xenforo.com/community/threads/signature-badge-script.656/

It's just gone overboard since then. ;)

The makers of that were just doing that to show off xenForo's extendability by creating a modification for it. It was merely a proof of concept.

Not everyone is comfortable editing templates. I would say it is safe to assume that the majority of forum owners do not modify their boards themselves.
If there were code samples and screen shots showing the results of the code changes, yes.

code: fdalkjflafjkalkjf .... pic of result
code: /*fdalkjflafjkalkjf*/ .... pic of result

Personally I find it difficult to make changes when people say 'just ___' with no additional information. If it was explained clearly, no problem.

They certainly wouldn't be as concerned as you seem to be,

Concerned? Not sure what your talking about.

1. Concerned about my post count? That is the funniest thing I've heard. If I could lock my post count on my sites and every site I use at -1 I would be happy.

2. Concerned about putting it in the Postbit because my users like it? I knew before looking at what the thread display looked like that I would have to edit the postbit to add additional information for tables I've added my sites for my users trucks/cars. Adding the post count will take an extra 10 seconds.

3. Concerned about how easy it would be for admins to add it to their sites? Concerned is way to strong of a word. That would be their problem and not mine.

The makers of that were just doing that to show off xenForo's extendability by creating a modification for it. It was merely a proof of concept.

Gee thanks for posting the same information that is in the post above yours. You have no idea how useful it is to have information posted multiple times. Yes.... very.... useful.

I think it comes down to options... just about every forum board in the past has shown some information so people do get use to it. Just because you may not use the feature doesn't mean other folks won't. I myself am on the side where I would be customizing the template to show that stuff if it isn't shown by default.

BUT... we could ALL be getting ahead of ourselves, almost everyone has yet to see the admin panel so this could already be available... time will tell.

Actually, no, that was because those users were showing off XF's API, which was talked about and sprouted from here: http://xenforo.com/community/threads/signature-badge-script.656/

It's just gone overboard since then. ;)
The first appearance of the stats bar was done by someone scraping their own profile page. This user wanted everyone to see their trophies / posts, in the postbit. The very things that are being asked for as options by the thread starter. Kier, saw the silliness of scraping a page and exposed a View that merely presented the data that was being scraped. The continued development of the bar may have been inspired, in part, by the simpleness of obtaining the stats, but it was not why it was created.

I would much rather see them expand upon the "Member's Card" and sling all the frills into that. Once you go down the road of adding trophies and ranks and awards to the postbit, it never ends - people collect more and more crap and pretty soon the userid space is about ten times as long as any post anyone will ever make, so that you're scrolling through endless debris in order to get to the actual conversation. I offer you Exhibit A: thefuselage's threaded board. Although they do at least put it in a collapse box, but I get the impression that we won't be having collapse boxes on here. If it could be put in a collapse box, that would be different.

Frankly I wish boards would have the guts to do away with signatures too. Yeah people like them, yeah they'd complain, but in this one singular case I don't really care what the user wants. They would probably also like the ability to have a flashy little popup thingy embedded in their post that got in everyone's face and screamed "LIKE ME!!!!" but I think we can all agree on this: too damn bad. :p

Top Bottom