Fixed Media mirroring feature makes disk space limitations useless

The developers will deal with it in due course - there is no need to tag staff or bump bug reports.

1 week and no response from the official XF people. Even with tagging. And a user fixed the bug. What shall I say now?

Maybe the XF team would be so kind to update their code with Kirby's fix accordingly in the MG download files?

Honestly do not get why you're giving a ton of attitude for something that is relatively minor (and something you could have temporarily resolved by just increasing the storage amount provided).

Developers are obviously busy with the current priority which is 2.3.

I think you should be cautious with such insinuations. Either you have a constructive idea to solve this problem or you should not comment a problem by insulting other people.
No insinuation. I'm flat out saying you were quick to criticize about Xenforo staff for not responding fast enough for your liking, yet when someone provided a fix it took almost a week to respond to them (yet you claimed this was critical).

No insinuation. I'm flat out saying you were quick to criticize about Xenforo staff for not responding fast enough for your liking, yet when someone provided a fix it took almost a week to respond to them (yet you claimed this was critical).
Plus its not a bug. Just saying.

and something you could have temporarily resolved by just increasing the storage amount provided).

No, it is not a storage problem of the server. It is funny how people make statements without reading or maybe understanding what was written in the problem description.

Kirby understood it and thanks to him, this bug is solved thanks to his hack.

If you still think that this is not a bug then I do not know whether you ever can call a misbehaviour of the software when using specific settings a bug. This turns into a ridicilous discussion.

Believe it or not, but I have also work to do and can not be all the time here in the forum. This is why I put pressure on a solution, since I knew I can not be here for a couple of days .

Did you really read this thread? The Xenforo staff did not respond at all.

Kirby was the only person who tried to help in a constructive way. All the rest tried to convince me, that there is no problem because they do not undestand the MG settings or that my server would be to small without trying it themselves to see that it is a bug.

If someone is not reading carefully the problem description, does to try to replicate it, he should not try to make assumptions and play the smart guy.

I agree that mirrored images should not eat the disk space quota defined for users in MG.
However, it is not necessarily a bug, it may simply be a way of seeing how MG works by the developers.

So you should make a suggestion on this subject in the appropriate forum.

Above all, stop believing that your "problem" is everyone's problem, and that it should be prioritised over the multitude of tasks that the team manages perpetually. (Especially since Kirby has resolved your problem).

You take things to heart because you want the best for YOUR forum, it's all to your honour, but the XF staff wants the best for ALL forums... it makes a big difference.

I agree that mirrored images should not eat the disk space quota defined for users in MG.
However, it is not necessarily a bug, it may simply be a way of seeing how MG works by the developers.

I try to explain it a last time. Please try it yourself out with your own MG installation.

Xenforo works fine without the MG plugin. MG works fine in combination with XF as long as you do not use all ACP-settings offered within the MG-ACP settings. Only under a specific condition, depending on whether you enable a specific MG setting, MG does not work anymore.

If you offer an MG plugin with ACP-options within the ACP for MG, the coder has to make sure, that the settings of that MG plugin (no matter which option-combination you use in ACP) do not interfere with the rest of Xenforo in a negative way and vice versa.

Can we agree on this?

Because if not, the whole discussion is pointless. We would have a different definition of a "bug" and then we just differ in opinions and can not agree on anything anymore. There would be no basis to form a discussion on it.

The reason why I started this thread as a bug report is, that a specific MG setting within the MG ACP does not work anymore, as soon as you enable a specific option within MG. As proven with my screenshots and as proven with the hack of Kirby, who fixed that bug.

Again: Only under a specific condition, depending on whether you enable specific MG settings, MG does not work anymore as it was intended according to the settings you make in the MG-ACP.

These are not settings of XF. These are settings of MG. Bear this in mind. There is a reason why we have settings for MG separated from settings for XF.

If the developers would have intended to have it the way it works without the bugfix, they would have made in the description either a warning, that if you use it this way, it will bust the quota limits within MG (both, "mirroring categories" and quota settings are within MG_ACP, not within XF!!!) or they would have simply added a checkbox within MG ACP that if you turn on mirroring of XF categories, then the MG calculation of the MG quota will always include these mirrored attachments unless you check that box.

The reason why none of both suggested "hints" are shown in ACP is because the developers were not aware of that problem at all. Simple as that and the only logical conclusion.

They obviously did not test that combination of settings before releasing it. This is NOT something bad per se. Please do not misunderstand me.

Noone will complain that a bug was overseen. BUT what drives me crazy is how some people try to gloss over this bug without reading the detailed descriptions, without looking at the screenshots and without testing it themselves first before commenting on it.

A bug is a bug. Nothing earth shaking. Bugs will happen all the time and bugs are there to be fixed, not to be glossed over them or ignored by the developers if you publish them.

I reported a bug. I am only the messenger. I proved it and explained it many times, but some people throw stones at me like I would have injected a virus in the XF code or how do I dare to criticize something?

Is this a good way to deal with bug reportings?

If others are reading this, will they be motivated to report a bug in the future? What is the benefit of this community then?

Last edited:
I understand.

But it's a matter of point of view because we could also imagine that developers thought that whatever a user's image is integrated into MG (direct or mirror loading) it decrements the quota set by the administrator.
And seen in this way, it's not a bug at all (Even if it seems totally inconsistent to you).

On the other hand, you are right that this should be optional and therefore a checkbox in the ACP-MG should be available to prevent mirrored images from being counted in the defined quota.

And so finally you should definitely make a suggestion in this sense.

Unless you are absolutely right and the developers had missed this embarrassing detail and therefore consider it a bug. But I doubt this... let's wait, patiently, for their point of view.

Believe it or not, but I have also work to do and can not be all the time here in the forum. This is why I put pressure on a solution, since I knew I can not be here for a couple of days .

So, separation of your work and personal time is important to you? That's what my initial post was about. Take it to heart.

@Nicolas FR

we are in a loop here and this brings us nowhere.

But it's a matter of point of view because we could also imagine that developers thought that whatever a user's image is integrated into MG (direct or mirror loading) it decrements the quota set by the administrator.

It is not a matter of point of view. You choose the most unlogical argumentation. Use simple logic and how the software of Xenforo was designed since its inception. Look at your control panel. Go for the section of MG. If you are not using MG at all, you should not start to argue.

An ACP setting for MG is not supposed to handle ACP settings for XF. It should not and will never be. That is the whole purpose of dividing the ACP panel in different sections. Some for XF and some for MG.

If you want that an MG setting shall be applied for the rest of XF outside of MG, it has to be put in the XF ACP settings. Simple as that.

The mirrored categories show up only in MG. Nowhere else.
The quota applies only in MG (if I turn off mirroring). Nowhere else.

Both settings, mirroring categories and quota are settings within MG ACP section. Nowhere else. And they should therefore only apply for MG. Nowhere else. This is the way how ACP in XF works since around 2010.

These are the facts. I hope this was clear enough explained. I am tired of this.

So, separation of your work and personal time is important to you? That's what my initial post was about. Take it to heart.

I do. It was Friday morning, it is their business. It is not my business. But even after one week. Nothing.

Last edited:
It is not a matter of point of view
It’s your point of view…

College No GIF by The Sims

Thank you for reporting this issue, it has now been resolved. We are aiming to include any changes that have been made in a future XFMG release (2.3.0 Beta 7).

Change log:
Do not count mirroed media items towards media quota.
There may be a delay before changes are rolled out to the XenForo Community.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom