Maximum File Size & Usergroup Restrictions - Resource Manager

ChrisM

Hello there,

We're currently evaluating forum software packages. I'm hoping that you can help me with a couple of questions.

The only use case that I would have for the Resource Manager is the distribution of large zipped software packages (up to 50GB). Can Xenforo's Resource Manager handle files that large without issue? Additionally, can the resource manager be directed to pull files from a server other than the server upon which the forum is hosted.

Then...I'm wondering if it's possible to restrict download access to members of a specific usergroup. I wouldn't want users outside of a specific usergroup to be able to see or download these particularly files.

Any help you can provide would be great :).

Can Xenforo's Resource Manager handle files that large without issue?
Can PHP/the web server handle uploads of this size? The answer is very much "it depends". There are certainly cases where PHP can't handle this (see here for a discussion of 2GB limits: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/...loads-using-jquery-file-upload-apache-and-php). It's very possible you may run into this sort of thing in the web server or load balancer/reverse proxy as well. There are a lot of server variables to consider.

Is uploading 50GB from a web browser viable? I'm not sure. There are potentially a lot of caveats over the length of the connection and the stability of it, though this does depend on your connection as well.

Overall, I'm not totally confident it'd work. Getting it to work would, at least, require configuration changes in a number of locations.

Additionally, can the resource manager be directed to pull files from a server other than the server upon which the forum is hosted.
You can list external downloads, but it doesn't pull them in. It just redirects the user to download that file. The final URL wouldn't necessarily be protected by permissions.

Then...I'm wondering if it's possible to restrict download access to members of a specific usergroup.
Yup, you can specify permissions for the RM per group both globally and per category.

Thanks for the response Mike. I'm glad to hear that permissions do apply to downloads.

Do you know if would be possible to get a trial version of the suite including RM that we can host on our infrastructure? If we do end up going for this package, I would like to see if our webdev can get RM downloads working consistently with large file sizes before committing to the platform.

Top Bottom