1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lack of Interest Markdown (new try)

Discussion in 'Closed Suggestions' started by Cthulhux, Jul 23, 2015.

1. Cthulhux

Cthulhux Member

As I presume xF 2.0 will have a couple of bigger changes, I'm taking this chance to suggest Markdown support again. Markdown seems to be the declared successor of BBCode, being supported by more than just forums (most blogs, websites like GitHub and Stack Overflow, ...). This would be a giant step forward.

Thanks for reading.
  2. The Dark Wizard

The Dark Wizard Well-Known Member

I have been thinking of suggesting something like this for a while now but I don't know how I feel about it.

Is Markdown really all that great? I've been told for the longest time now that it is far easier to BBCode and I do see newer sites use it, but at the same time BBCode is universal at least with the older parts of the internet.

@Chris D, @Mike,

How do you feel about Markdown and do you think it has a place in the forum world?(Not asking if its coming to xF)
  3. Biker

Biker Well-Known Member

Meh. Considering there is no standard for it, it's far too early to even contemplate adopting something of this nature. Not to mention, switching this on your users is going to create a huge uproar as they'll have to learn something completely different from bbcode.
  4. The Dark Wizard

The Dark Wizard Well-Known Member

Some other pieces of software use a combination of both. Markdown for the easier stuff like unordered/ordered lists while bbcode does more complex stuff.
  5. Cthulhux

Cthulhux Member

Here's the Markdown standard, made by Markdown's inventor; here's the Markdown Extra standard. Both come with a reference implementation.

You're welcome.
  6. Biker

Biker Well-Known Member

That's HIS standard. Not an industry wide standard. Nice try.
  7. Cthulhux

Cthulhux Member

That's the Markdown standard, as BBcode is the BBcode standard (given that various board systems support different tags too).
  8. Mike

Mike XenForo Developer Staff Member

9. AndyB

AndyB Well-Known Member