Mark Posts as Best Answer [Deleted]

How will the two options coexist? Will the author have option to select the best answer AND the community will get to vote the best answer? If a user has selected a best answer will he be able to change his choice, if yes then how?
Hi,
In my opinion,
Letting the author choosing the "Best Answer" making no sense, but. another option would be to allow 2 options for the admin.

1. Allow the thread author to mark the "Best Answer" only.
2. Allow specific user-groups to mark the "Best Answer" only.
3. Allow to both thread author and selected user-groups.

And yes,
If some one selected "Best Answer" he can revert. just like Like / Unlike.

@jmurrayhead @Alexey.P @Alfa1 I've decided to add a voting based option. Do you think each message should show the number of people marked it as best answer? Or just have the best answer highlighted, without showing any info about the actual votes?
Personally, I would prefer to see the vote count. In many cases, it can help show the weight of an individual answer, so long as it's not abused. Does this include down-votes, as well? Either way, still highlight the chosen answer by the person asking the question in the thread. Also, I can respect that some people might not want it this way, so having the option to turn it off is always a good way to go.

Hi,
In my opinion,
Letting the author choosing the "Best Answer" making no sense, but. another option would be to allow 2 options for the admin.

1. Allow the thread author to mark the "Best Answer" only.
2. Allow specific user-groups to mark the "Best Answer" only.
3. Allow to both thread author and selected user-groups.

And yes,
If some one selected "Best Answer" he can revert. just like Like / Unlike.
I disagree. The author is looking for a solution to their problem. They should be able to mark the post with the solution that worked best for them. Not everything is so cut an dry.

Personally, I would prefer to see the vote count. In many cases, it can help show the weight of an individual answer, so long as it's not abused. Does this include down-votes, as well? Either way, still highlight the chosen answer by the person asking the question in the thread. Also, I can respect that some people might not want it this way, so having the option to turn it off is always a good way to go.
I agree.

Not only that,
In the "Best Answer" settings, we should be able to decide how many Minimum votes needed to "Highlight" a post, for example at least 3 votes at least in order to have a post marked as the "Best Answer" and to get "highlighted".
Or simply to allow every Admin to decide how much (according to his forum traffic and amount of members.)..

I disagree. The author is looking for a solution to their problem. They should be able to mark the post with the solution that worked best for them. Not everything is so cut an dry.
This is why I said,
Every Admin should be able to choose.

1. The author will Choose the "Best Answer"
2. The community will choose the "Best Answer"
3. Both

@jmurrayhead @Alexey.P @Alfa1 I've decided to add a voting based option. Do you think each message should show the number of people marked it as best answer? Or just have the best answer highlighted, without showing any info about the actual votes?
Thanks Lior. To answer your question:
I think that it should only show the best answer and not the votes.
How will the two options coexist?
The admin will be able to select which ever option he wants.
If a user has selected a best answer will he be able to change his choice, if yes then how?
Users should be able to change their votes, as a better answer may come along. See the discussion earlier in this thread.

If this is a "purist" best answer mod then it should be up to the OP to decide on the best answer, after all it was them that asked the question, so it should be them that decides which answer best met their query...not the community or a staff member. It's like going to a store to pick out a new shirt for yourself but then, after you've found the exact shirt, before you buy it, you ask the other shoppers (or the store manager) what they think and it ends up that they put your shirt back on the rack and you buy a completely different shirt. It's plain wrong.

Sure, add this other guff to the mod but please, please make it optional.

If this is a "purist" best answer mod then it should be up to the OP to decide on the best answer, after all it was them that asked the question, so it should be them that decides which answer best met their query...not the community or a staff member. It's like going to a store to pick out a new shirt for yourself but then, after you've found the exact shirt, before you buy it, you ask the other shoppers (or the store manager) what they think and it ends up that they put your shirt back on the rack and you buy a completely different shirt. It's plain wrong.

Sure, add this other guff to the mod but please, please make it optional.
You can refer it to a specific type of forum.
On my forum, they will want multiple votes since we're talking about pure Linux community.

There is a big difference between a community that learn from each other topics, to a typical "Q&A" websites.

Hence, this is why the admin should have the option to decide what to allow imho :)

Lior. updated Mark Posts as Best Answer with a new update entry:

New Features and Improvements

• Added voting based selection of the best answer. It is optional to choose between the original behavior, in which the thread creator chooses the best answer, and this new one, in which each user can mark one best answer per thread, and the answer with the most votes is highlighted as the best answer.
  • When using the voting based option, it's possible to set a minimum number of votes in order for an answer to be considered as the best answer.
  • The best answer is now displayed both...

Read the rest of this update entry...

Voting! Nice, any demo/prints of how voting looks like?
Well, currently pretty much the same as before. Any user can click the Best Answer link (once in a thread, though the user can change his or her choice), and the post with the most votes is automatically set as the best answer.

Will update the video when I get the chance, but visually speaking there's not more to it than what can be seen in the current video and screenshots.

@Lior. Thanks for implementing my suggestion so quickly. What do you think about the other suggestions?
Suggestions:
  1. field on forum display to ask a question
  2. 'open questions' tab on forum display
  3. 'browse answers' tab
  4. 'new questions' tab on the 'new posts' function.

@Lior. Thanks for implementing my suggestion so quickly. What do you think about the other suggestions?
1. Not sure I understand, what do you mean by a field on forum display?
2. There's a state filter in the thread display options, you can choose to only display answered/unanswered threads.
3. Where would that tab be located?
4. Will keep this in mind for a future release.

1. Not sure I understand, what do you mean by a field on forum display?
2. There's a state filter in the thread display options, you can choose to only display answered/unanswered threads.
3. Where would that tab be located?
4. Will keep this in mind for a future release.
With forum display or thread listing I mean the (sub)forum that holds the question threads. For example: http://xenforo.com/community/forums/xenforo-pre-sales-questions.5/
This is what I mean with a forum display. The term comes from vbulletins forumdisplay.php

My first suggestion is to add a field here where users can type their question. Similar to what Adobe forums and Yahoo Answers have:
Adobe Community.webp
Yahoo! Answers.webp
2. My second suggestion is to add a tab on forum display / thread listing, so that the unanswered questions in the forum can easily be found.
3. My third suggestion is to add a tab on forum display / thread listing, so that the answered questions in the forum can easily be found.

With forum display or thread listing I mean the (sub)forum that holds the question threads. For example: http://xenforo.com/community/forums/xenforo-pre-sales-questions.5/
This is what I mean with a forum display. The term comes from vbulletins forumdisplay.php

My first suggestion is to add a field here where users can type their question. Similar to what Adobe forums and Yahoo Answers have:
View attachment 52493
View attachment 52494
2. My second suggestion is to add a tab on forum display / thread listing, so that the unanswered questions in the forum can easily be found.
3. My third suggestion is to add a tab on forum display / thread listing, so that the answered questions in the forum can easily be found.
That might look great in theory, but think about it. the user who create this question, it isn't a normal thread.. no title and content, simply a question..
And in fact, every thread on a specific forum that had no reply can be considered "unanswered"

Top Bottom