• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Lack of interest Mark Forums/Nodes as read

JJJ

One of the most requested features of our users, after migrating a big board from vBulletin to XenForo is, they would like to mark a node (including sub-nodes) as read.

In vBulletin, this could be done, by double-clicking the node-icon. But this isn't a good idea for smartphones or touchscreens. But anyway: I don't miss much after switching from vB to XF... but marking nodes as read in the nodelist, really would be nice.

Mike

XenForo developer
Staff member
Is the suggestion marking from the forum list or just having it in general? Because it exists in general; the link in the navigation at the top is context aware.

JJJ

Is the suggestion marking from the forum list or just having it in general?
I know, it's a matter of convenience ;)

But actually, we somehow would like it in forum_list and maybe forum_view for sub-forums. Especially the power-users request this, because they like to mark a complete node as "read" after they have read the interesting threads, and then hope to get informed, if new postings arrived in this node (& children).

TJA

One of the most requested features of our users, after migrating a big board from vBulletin to XenForo is, they would like to mark a node (including sub-nodes) as read.

In vBulletin, this could be done, by double-clicking the node-icon. But this isn't a good idea for smartphones or touchscreens. But anyway: I don't miss much after switching from vB to XF... but marking nodes as read in the nodelist, really would be nice.
A little search in Resources

https://xenforo.com/community/resources/double-click-forum-icons-to-mark-forum-as-read.2298/

JJJ

A little search in Resources
Hahaha, I've done that research and found this addon and installed it. It works fine so far, unless we would like some improvements.

First: We chose a vB-like display of sub-forums. This addon will not, when clicking on an icon of a subnode. but we maybe could fix this by tweaking a little in the templates.

The main reason, we think, it should be integrated to the core is, that double clicking is not a good idea for smartphones. Maybe someone has got a brilliant idea :)